Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Fetch Mighty and Mobile Tethering

Hello,

The cable is down in my area tonight so tried to get the Fetch box to connect to the mobile hotspot on my Optus mobile. I have 70GB of data to use so thought I'd be able to watch the soccer.

The Fetch box pops up an error message about not being able to use a mobile connection. I have seen a couple of other threads but no definite answer.

Can Fetch connect via mobile tethering? If not, why not? My cable is down so why shouldn't I be able to utilise the data I pay for on my mobile plan?

Thanks

Mick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Fetch Mighty and Mobile Tethering

Hi there Mick,

From our Fetch website under Important Info:

Fetch: Fetch use requires an active fixed broadband internet connection with a download speed of at least 3.5 Mbps.

Hope your cable has been restored since? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Thanks, but why is this, I have a phone that can easily provide that speed?

Also, after a while, the Fetch box stopped working completely due to not having network access. I assume from time to time it must require validation. I couldn't even watch stuff I had previously recorded. When the net came back on the next morning the Fetch box required a soft reset to get working again.

Why doesn't Optus allow us to use data from another Optus service if our main connection goes down? 

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'd like to provide you with a better answer however it's simply a Fetch connectivity requirement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I've been away for a couple of weeks.

This simply isn't an answer. 

"Use of a non-permanent connection such as 3G/4G wireless broadband or a personal hotspot for periodic updates is not supported or recommended. The Fetch box is not guaranteed to work over a mobile network connection"

AND

"If you purchase a Fetch box from an authorised Fetch retailer, and subscribe with Fetch you need a minimum broadband speed of 3Mbps to access Fetch. All ISP's require at least 3Mbps."

As the previous poster said, our phones can easily handle the speed requirement so no idea why we are stuck following stupid rules like this.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Welcome back!

I get what you're saying however all I can say is you'll need to contact Fetch about their product. 

0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I would assume nothing more than a firmware update is required to fix the issues, so why can't Optus, as a major supplier of Fetch boxes, insist on the capability on behalf of their customers? I would suggest the only reason is that they don't want to.

Cheers

Mick

0 Kudos
Rhyzie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Seem silly doesn’t it!! They must need the $$ Everyone these days don’t have home phones and get unlimited calls and text so what’s left? Only internet.. which everyone needs more! I have so much data on my phone that is wasted every month! Would be good if you could watch your recordings etc when the nbn is down. Just not working at all is crap.
Top Contributors