New Contributor

Fetch Mighty and 4k output

Are all Fetch Might boxes 4k capable

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch Mighty and 4k output

Yes. But you need a 4K source (Currently Netflix and maybe some Stan?)

The ability to play local files (NAS) on the mighty has been broken for a few months now and I don't know if that way could play 4K either though.

Here's a thread from last year on the issue. Fetch Announcement

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor DC0803
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter.

I am a bit of newbie when it comes to thi sort of stuff.

I can currently only see in the settings area of the fetch up to 1080P is that becuse the source itself is not 2160.

Cheers

darren

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

For completeness (and I'm not an expert on this), Netflix resolution depends on your Netflix plan. If you have a 4k TV, set the Fetch Mighty to 2160@60 or 2160@50 no matter what - I believe the TV will/can upscale. My Mighty is set at 2160@60 and I haven't noticed any funnies with Fetch or FTA channels..

PS: Only the Mighty supports 4k. Mini 1s 1080P, I believe. Only other 4k that I'm aware of is Foxtel (I gave them up for Fetch - better value).

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I've read this a couple of times now. What is meant by the tv can upscale? I know what upscaling is but if the fetch is outputting 2160p then that is 4k. No need to upscale anything?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@petergdownload. Should have anticipated your question. This https://www.techradar.com/au/news/4k-upscaling-everything-you-need-to-know-about-how-tvs-turn-hd-int... should help. The 4k TV has 3,840/2,160 pixels - so. most inputs have to be scaled (up) so that all pixels are used.

Best metaphor I can think is that our digital TV channels transmit in several formats https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/htf_dtv_hdsd and we can watch them all on our digital TV sets.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @newline

Understand upscalling is a thing. But in the context of this thread we're talking about the Fetch Mighty outputing 4K TV. 2160p is 4K TV. So I'm not sure why there's any need to reference upscaling?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@petergdownload. Whoops, my bad. Shakespeare sonnet 112.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not a problem Smiley Happy I just thought I was missing something.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos