Searching...
Accepted Solution

Fetch Mighty VS Fetch Gen2, worth upgrading ?

Caledoz

What is the main difference between the 2 boxes appart from the wifi connection possibility on the Mighty ?

I have upgraded to a new NBN entertainment 24mths plan nearly a month ago, Optus were suppose to send me the new Mighty box, but they have not.

I have the Gen2 box from my old plan and before I start making calls to get the Fetch Mighty, I would like to know if it's worth spending a lot of time on the phone (Yes Optus, we spend hours on the phone trying to solve multiple problems) to upgrade to the new box or just not bother.

Does the new Mighty have a faster response time ?

Also, when I got my Gen2 upgrade from the Gen1, as soon as the order was placed on the phone, it disconnected my Gen1 box and I had to wait for 10 days until I received my Gen2 box to be able to watch TV and record programs (I have my Fetch box hooked to a monitor, so no tuner, meaning no TV without the Fetch box) .

Is it still the case, do they disconnect as soon as the order is placed ?

If yes, why doesn't Optus wait for the new box to be connected before they disconect the old one ?

Solution

Re: Fetch Mighty VS Fetch Gen2, worth upgrading ?

Hollie

Hey @Caledoz - I do apologise that you weren't advised your Gen 1 box being disconnected once the order was placed for the Gen 2 box. This is due to the fact we can only have one set top box linked to an account at once so if you were to order the Mighty, the Gen 2 would cease to work once that order was placed too. 

The Mighty has a few other features other than just the WiFI, it has more tuners so you can record more shows at once and it also has the ability to stream 4K video. You can find more info and compare them here.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Caledoz

@Hollie 

Thank you for the answer.

I still think that it could be done differently as to not upset and inconvenience customers, specially if they have been customers for a looooong time like myself.

You said : "This is due to the fact we can only have one set top box linked to an account at once ", but when you send an upgrade box, you do have two set top boxes linked to one acount until the other one is returned (one in transit and one at the customers place).

So because we have to enter a code to  activate the new box when we get it, what about as soon as we enter the code for the new box when we receive it, it then  disconnect the other one automatically and we don't have to be without TV programs or contents that we have paid for, for 10 days. I don't think that Optus will give me a credit for those 10 days .... or will they ?

I don't think that it would be that dificult to link the 2 codes together to be able to disconnect one when the other one connects.

Maybe you should forward this to your techniciens so they could work on it and improve the way things are done instead of making the customer wait for 10 days or more to switch units.

Regards,

Aman_B

Thanks for your valuable feedback @Caledoz, I'll certainly pass this on to our IT team. Let us know if you need a hand with anything else.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

jmm123

welcome to the lousy service by OPTUS:

I connected last month to NBN and was promised the GEN 3.  It took 5 hours of phone calls to get the GEN 3 sent out.

Now I am regretting it because it does not work with my Yamaha A3050 receiver (a HDCP error) - it is a problem with the GEN 3. Surprisingly the older one was fine.

The problem was reported last Year but they have not done anything to fix it.

And yes when you order the Gen 3 - they deactivate the GEN 2 - so no TV for 2 weeks in my case and all for a dud GEN 3.  Unbelievable!

AlexRH

Hey @jmm123, we've replied to your previous post. Really sorry to hear that this has happened Smiley Sad Can you please keep us updated on how you go? 

If you haven't already, really recommend getting in touch with us on 13 13 44 so we can check it out. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Griffo17

I wouldnt upgrade to the Gen3 if FTA is important to you.. in saying that, it should be ok in your situation as you plug directly into the TV. In my case though, i lost FTA functionality as I had it hooked up via a receiver to my projector. Fetch Mini works fine though and so did my Gen2 box prior to it being upgraded for the Gen3 Mighty.

[ Edited ]
Khun_Tilt

The answer depends on your use. If you record a lot then the mighty will allow up to 6 consecutive recordings depending on channel. If you use the gen 2 to watch youtube though be aware this app has been deleted from the mighty and despite a year of messages and promises is yet to reappear. Check out the separate thread on this topic.

Also, whenever there is a power failure the mighty will not reset internet connection. I have to go in and set it up all over again. The gen 2 just reset. Bingo.

As to Griffo17's comment, I have never had an issue with FTA and I also go through a receiver. This may indicate that these boxes can have a mind of their own.

ozpanda2118

It makes no sense at all for a customer to be without a Fetch service for two weeks while the logisitcs happen of replacing a box. Poor service indeed. Lift your game Optus!

Adam

Khun_Tilt

My gen 2 was faulty. I upgraded to gen 3 but expressed concern about the two weeks wait so they put me on "express delivery" and it came in 48 hours.

That said - and this is not an Optus fault, but Fetch's - if would be helpful if recorded shows can be moved to a USB drive as even if the new box came same day all recordings on the old box are lost.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
52 Kudos
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos