Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Josh92
New Contributor

Fetch Box a rental?

Hi,

I signed up for an $80 bundle which included a fetch box in 2017. Upon the conclusion of my 24month contract I was informed that I need to continue paying to use the box or to return it.

I was very suprised and frustrated upon learning this as it was not disclosed when we bought the plan that the box was a rental and re-looking over the CIS there is nothing in there stating there is a rental agreement. Had we known this we would have purchased the box outright elsewhere as we were actually contemplating buying the PVR outright at the time but opted to lump it in with the plan at the Optus tem members advice who implied that we would own it at the end of the contract.

Can someone please point me in the direction where I can find where it states that the box is a rental? T&Cs contracts etc. Also what are my options going forward other than cancelling my plan out of frustration?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch Box a rental?

It is indeed an lease/rental and will need to be returned when you leave Optus. Generally the cost of it is included in your plan and even after the plan finishes in 24 months it should still be 'free'.

I fully agree that Optus don't actually disclose the box is a rental or that significant fees apply if it is not returned (despite plenty of opportunity for a single line in the CIS). Take it from me though that its in the main contract. IMO its yet another practice that borders on deceptive and misleading and Optus have recently had a lot of slaps for such behavior.

Note that only Optus Fetch units can get the included Fetch channel pack for free. You can still buy a Fetch unit outright (I suggest a refurbished unit from FetchTV themselves on eBay). Don't buy second hand units from any individual or small company.
Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Josh92
New Contributor

Thanks Peter,

If it's in the main contract then I suppose arguing the case is out of the question. 

I think the best bet is to just return the box and buy my own box. Thanks for the tips.

But yes, it's very misleading practice and I'll be looking elsewhere for service provider in the future 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@Josh92 If you continue with the same $80 plan then fetch should continue with no extra cost. I assume that you were with Optus Cable on the $80 plan and now migrated to NBN. If that is the case then Fetch rental will be continue without extra cost if your new plan has a Fetch component. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy