Searching...
Accepted Solution

Fast Forwading on Fetch Box

Sue65

Optus have taken away the fast forward option on the Mighty Box - tech support are useless, suggesting I use the skip (right arrow) button on Remote 2 - this jumps forward 5 minutes - too much for most uses eg getting through the ads - any ideas?

Re: Fast Forwading on Fetch Box

petergdownload

The Fetch Skip is unfortunately locked to a pretty useless 5 minutes. The old Tivo 30 seconds much more helpfull. Its a hangover from Fetch being a FreeTV box (which basically meant you could provide decent skip or FF options as FreeTV didn't want you to skip or FF the ads)

You sure FF has gone? That would be a big issue and is unlikely deliberate. If you record a 5 mintue show and then play back are you saying FF doesn't work?

Peter Gillespie

Sue65

Thanks Peter,

the odd thing is the Level 2 tech said it was - his senior called back later and said it was possibly a bandwidth problem,

this issue occurs ONLY on the two Mighty Boxes and not the Gen 2 box and only if what being played was recorded on either the OTHER Mighty box or the Gen 2 Box. The picture freezes and you can't see if or how fast you are fast forwarding let alone choose a place to stop. The problem started around the end of November or beginning of December just after the latest software upgrade.

The problem is made more difficult because I am tryiing to communicate this over the phone when it would be MUCH easier for me to put it in writing and email it or get it to the tech's in writing but OPTUS insists they can only deal with tech problems for FETCH over the phone so my frustration levels have just been rising the more I try and get something resolved. This is not helped by the fact I reported 3 years ago that Recordings made on Mighty Boxes from Fetch Channels could not then be played on the Gen 2 box - this issue has never been resolved - after a month or two they said it couldn't be done so my faith in the tech department is pretty low to start with,

Sue65

Thanks Peter,

the odd thing is the Level 2 tech said it was - his senior called back later and said it was possibly a bandwidth problem,

this issue occurs ONLY on the two Mighty Boxes and not the Gen 2 box and only if what being played was recorded on either the OTHER Mighty box or the Gen 2 Box. The picture freezes and you can't see if or how fast you are fast forwarding let alone choose a place to stop. The problem started around the end of November or beginning of December just after the latest software upgrade.

The problem is made more difficult because I am tryiing to communicate this over the phone when it would be MUCH easier for me to put it in writing and email it or get it to the tech's in writing but OPTUS insists they can only deal with tech problems for FETCH over the phone so my frustration levels have just been rising the more I try and get something resolved. This is not helped by the fact I reported 3 years ago that Recordings made on Mighty Boxes from Fetch Channels could not then be played on the Gen 2 box - this issue has never been resolved - after a month or two they said it couldn't be done so my faith in the tech department is pretty low to start with,

Highlighted

petergdownload

I've dabbled in digital TV. When it comes to FF / REW its not as simple as the old analogue tape going faster (mechanically). Processing time has to be taken to decode each frame so as you get faster you start out doing the ability of the box to smoothly represent each frame. That's why you get the still frame flashes at x32 or more. Back when, some boxes actually create seperate screenshots that they showed. Different encoding rates also made things very variable (after all is a 40Mb jump = 1 second or 5?)

All this is to say that FF is no longer straight forward (no pun intended). Fetch should definitely be on top of this and your feed back no doubt very useful. 

Note that Optus don't really have much control over Fetch Firmware. You'd be better off contacting Fetch directly with your observations.

Peter Gillespie

Sue65

If the problem only occured at 32x or 16x I wouldn't be as frustrated - but it even occurs at 2x but the tech's didn't want to hear that (again - easier to write down than try and communicate over the phone ) - do you have a way of connecting to Fetch directly because I can't find anything.

Solution

petergdownload

Sounds like a definite bug.

Fetch seem to like being in the background but IME they do respond well to their general email contact (just not necessarily the next day). Note Fetch "customers" are direct with Fetch, your Optus Fetch box doesn't make you a Fetch "customer".

All other enquiries please email us at contactus@fetchtv.com.au. Please be aware that this is not a customer support email address, and all customer enquiries should go via the channels indicated above as they are the quickest way to get any support issues resolved. 

Peter Gillespie

Sue65

Peter, thank you so much - I had no idea I had any other recourse other than OPTUS - I will try emailing FETCH directly and see what I can find out.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
51 Kudos
34 Kudos
24 Kudos
15 Kudos
8 Kudos