Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
blairy2691
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

FIFA 2018 World Cup in 4K/UHD with HDR and Immersive Audio

The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be available in 4K/UHD with HDR along with Immersive Audio (eg Dolby ATMOS or similar).

Will Optus Sports deliver a 4K broadcast?  With immersive audio?  I presume this will utilise the new broadcast codec HLG?

If this is available from Optus Sports will I need to upgrade my Fetch TV mini and how do I go about it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anarkii
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: FIFA 2018 World Cup in 4K/UHD with HDR and Immersive Audio

You will need to update your Fetch Mini anyway as it doesn't support 4K.
To update, you will just need to go to your internet account settings and simply add a Fetch Mighty box to your account, when I did it, the box was delivered 2 days later.
The Fetch Mini could probably be handed in back to a Optus store for repackaging and reselling if its in good condition. I would suggest doing a factory reset before doing that though. 

As for the world cup - I have no idea, it would be great if it was though! 

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

wouldn't that be great...not sure what you will hear from above? maybe people abusing the ref. Another issue that the Fetch mighty might face is the HDCP2.2 where if the Fetch box connects to an AVR then TV, the system thinks that there is a middle device trying to copy its contents and giving you a HDCP error message. If you connect to TV then AVR via ARC then that won't support Dolby Atmos. 

The new eARC will support dolby atmos from the TV back to the AVR, that could be a solution, but not sure if HDCP will complaints or not. At the momemt only the LG supports that. Some AVR like the Marantz and Denon, will support it via a Firmware update soon. So you will need alot of planets to line up for what you are wishing for

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
blairy2691
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cheers and thanks for your response.  To get the Mighty you must be an Optus broadband subscriber.  Optus broadband is not available in my area so I'm stuck with the mini.

0 Kudos