Searching...

Re: EPL and Fetch TV via iiNet

flippinheck

We are with iinet and they had an option to sign up with no contract, I think it would have cost $10 a month extra or something.

So you knew the EPL was coming to Optus and signed yourself up for 2 years?

It's only a $200 buy out anyway, and that decreases pro rata, by August it may be only $150.

flashart

No, I didn't know Optus were getting EPL when I signed with iinet as the news hadn't been announced in December when I moved house. I don't know how good Optus broadband is, I chose iinet for their rates, customer service and quality and speed of adsl2. I've heard nothing good about Optus customer service, and even though the website says my address in country NSW can receive broadband, it only says DSL and not ADSL2+. Besides which I think it is holding fans to ransom expecting us to change over almost entirely to Optus. Foxtel did not make it necessary to buy their broadband service to buy any of their tv services. In fact you could pay $20 a month  just to stream 3 live and 7 on demand games from their EPL ON DEMAND website without having to have any other Foxtel services. 

I will be looking into other ways to access the material I want to watch. I just read that SBS have sold on a big chunk of their rights to the 2018 World Cup to Optus too just so they can show one random game of EPL free per week. This is more very bad news for fans. It feels like when someone has a monopoly they have nothing holding them back from gouging. 

The cost if leaving iiNet is not even the only cost because Optus will charge a one off fee of $150 to join their 2 year broadband plan as well. I am retired so don't have the kind of money to just throw away every time the EPL changes hands in Australia. Who's to say it won't change again in another 3 years? Rip off.

markscarfe

Optus announced they bouth the EPL in November last year so the news was certainly out there when you moved. Optus will show every World Cup game live with SBS having one live game per day plas semis and the final. Im sure you would get the connection fee waived if you asked.

flashart

I was checking all the time re EPL and I had to get the ISP organized before I moved into the property as it takes up to a month sometimes to get it connected with a phone line too so even though I moved IN in December, I had the broadband running in advance to make sure it was working before I moved in as I had access to the new place. Anyway that is extremely bad timing from my point of view but the rest of it is not.  I had had the service literally for days when the news broke.

The rest is not making for people to be feeling good about Optus. Resentment is the word I think is at the forefront of such a blatant move. If Optus paid nearly 3 times the amount for the rights as Foxtel did previously then it's obvious why they are trying to recoup all that from customers.

Regarding the World Cup 2018, SBS used to show ALL the games for free. Now we have to pay through the nose for that too?  Why would they waive a joining fee if they clearly state it is part of their deal? Do they already realize they have got potential customers completely off side with their pricing/policy? Time for a rethink. I am prepared to pay for the EPL service or even a TV service if it was offered but to have to "CONSIDER" Optus for other major services (as per their media statement)  as a prerequisite is just a euphemism for "NO CHOICE". Very very rude.

markscarfe

I dont know if the "very very rude" bit was for me or Optus. Either way, Im no Optus fan boy as Im having very real issues with their NBN at the moment. Like most companies they will bend if they really want to sign you up. I was online with another telco last night and I got the connection fee waived if I move to them. Foxtel also do good deals as well. As I said Im no fan boy but professional sports is big business in the game to make money. The average AFL play is on over $200,000 per season and EPL players even more. There is a reason for that and its called "TV rights". At the end of the day its the end consumer who pays. Optus need to make money out of this. I love the EPL but Foxtel now has all the major European leagues plus Scotish and lower English leagues. No one has a finite amount of cash to spend but how we spend it is up to us. I do spend over $85 on my Optus NBN but as I said Im looking at other telsco because Optus is no good with my service. Im not happy with the EPL deal by a long shot and as it satand I cant watch it on my big TV. I wont be getting Fetch TV as I have Foxtel (unless I get the box for nothing with no monthly fees).

flashart

No, very rude was aimed at Optus. Not sure what your point is, as if I want to watch EPL I have to bend to getting Optus broadband and YES TV with FETCH otherwise I can't watch and record the games on my tv screen. It's not encouraging that you say your NBN with Optus is not good either. I know I can get good deals with Foxtel and their "loyalty" team as they are now giving me free HD, free Entertainment Plus for a year and waived all relocation and installation fees for my move but that is because they know people will be leaving in droves without them having EPL, amongst other reasons. Optus know they have EPL so I would be surprised if they waived any fees unless people don't sign up in the numbers they expect. The only sport I watch is EPL and international football (Euros and W.C) so all the other stuff Fox Sports offers is not for me. I am English by birth, been here for 35 years and still support West Ham and for once they're playing well so to give that up for next season is not going to be easy, but I won't be signing up with Optus. I'll find another way unless their options become more reasonable and affordable. I'll probably switch out my two prepaid phone and tablet services too when they're due to renew and not use Optus at all if they're going to get greedy. I don't use mobiles and tablets much so any mobile broadband plan is going to be waaaay more expensive than my current expense which adds up to $130 for tablet per annum and $60 for mobile phone per annum. Besides who wants to watch football on a 6 inch screen! It's not my fault as an end user that they paid way over the odds for the rights (way more than x2 what Foxtel paid) so I will never be happy with them trying to recoup their profligate spending from EPL fans.

markscarfe

Its a pity you dont support Villa. You could watch them on BeIN sports on Foxtel next year in HD in the Championship.

flashart

Yes, my mate supports Sunderland and it's probably better financially for him if not for them they go down.

Highlighted

flashart

Hey Hollie (Moderator) why have you gone silent after refuting GivemebackmyEPL's message? I have asked questions of this forum and had no answers. I am totally unable and now unwilling to be forced into changing my broadband service, mobile broadband service and mobile service. I would have been perfectly willing to pay for EPL games at a decent price but Optus is blackmailing people into taking up major amounts of their services just to get to it. My circumstances:

I locked into 2 years with iiNet broadband weeks before it was announced that Optus had won the rights to next 3 years of EPL. My break costs would be $200 (and Optus charge an initial upfront fee of $150). I am not unhappy with their service. Who knows if Optus can properly handle streaming games without buffering occurring.

I just renewed my 1 year ($130 per annum) prepaid mobile broadband with Optus some weeks ago before this pricing was announced. I am told this is not an eligible account for EPL purposes. (So loyalty of 5 years with Optus counts for nothing!). I would have to take up a plan which costs $45 per MONTH plus $15 per MONTH for EPL, Total $60 per month. If I just count the $45 per month (happy to pay $15 or more fore EPL standalone) x12 it's $540 per annum instead of the $130 I pay currently and that is plenty sufficient for my needs! Even if I could swap my prepaid for postpaid that's an extra $820 over two years (contract) I would pay and then only possibly be able to watch on my iPad!

My prepaid phone only costs me $60 per annum on a long cap recharge as I am retired and rarely use my mobile (which isn't a smart phone). If I change my prepaid phone to postpaid eligible account the minimum for that is $40 per MONTH so my costs would go up from $60 to $480 per annum for something I really don't need.

So the upshot is no matter which way you look at it I am expected to pay vast amounts of extra money for the ability to watch EPL.

Unless Optus changes their policy they will have lost a customer from here on in rather than gaining one. And I don't think I'll be the only one.

GiveMebackMyEPL

Are you going to pay his buy out?

Didn't think so.

Why should he HAVE to change anyway??

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
53 Kudos
48 Kudos
21 Kudos
14 Kudos
11 Kudos