cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Critical Hardware Failure on new Fetch Mighty Box

Got the new Mighty box today. My setup is as follows. FetchTv....LG 55 inch smart TV...Yamaha YSP2700 sound bar.. On the old gen2 box i had everything running thru the Yamaha.I.E. TV HDMI1 (ARC) to the Yamaha HDMI out. Fetch box to the Yamaha HDMI1 input. I had the antenna from tv to the aerial out on the fetch box and the aerial wall connection to the aerial on the fetch box. All this worked fine.

When i got the Mighty box I noticed no Aerial out on it. So i went and bought a Aerial splitter ( on for TV and one for Mighty box) when i plugged the mighty box in i got the message "HDMI ouput on soundbar needs to be connected to an HDCP2 compatible HDMI input on your TV to view this content" .

So i went and purchased ($54) a HDMI 2.2 cable and tried again...Same message. So i thought bugger this and went to use my old Fetch box and lo and behold it had been terminated No activation.

Then i tried once more to setup the Mighty box and this time got a Critical HDD error when it tried to boot....So now i have two Fetch boxes and none will work. Can i get my old Fetch box re-activated and send the Mighty back.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Critical Hardware Failure on new Fetch Mighty Box

Sorry but deactivation is a one way process. Its gone.

On the plus side your issue is a know issue

On the minus side its been known for years and Fetch have never fixed it.

On the plus side there are two work arounds.

The problem stems from the fact that HDMI is a protected/encrypted transmission. It can only be fed into displays (i.e. your TV). There is scope for the sound to be sent to a sound bar but a special code has to be attached to tell the sound bar to send the video onto the TV (i.e. pass through). The Fetch and Yamaha don't do this. So end result is you'll here sound but no picture.

The solutions are:

1) Plug the Fetch direct into the TV. Either use the TV audio or see if you can then send the sound back to the Yamaha via say optical out?

That's a quick fix anyway.

2) Longer is to get an HDMI splitter (version 1.4 or such). This essentially labels the HDMI as 1.4 which is then sent through. I believe its limited to 1080p though.

3) Buy a different Amp.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-hdmi-splitter-with-4k-support/p/AC1710

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.....Not buying a new Soundbar..(it cost $1360) My Tv is not 4K So the HDMI splitter Might be an Option. But if i can get my Gen2 Box re-activated somehow I will stick with that as everything worked well with it even the Yamaha.

The other thing is i will have to send back the Mighty box (Critical HDD failure) and iof its not going to plat faair with the Yamaha then its no good to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

By the way Peter do i still need an HDMI 2.2 cable if i use the splitter in the link you posted (got the cable from Jaycar)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus won't reactivate a box (but do certainly ask).

The issue wasn't a lack of capability, but as is so often the case just copy "protection" that those that want to copy bypass and those that legally pay to just watch find they are locked out. So no, you don't need a HDMI 2.2 cable.

NB Its a great soundbar. Do have a quick play around to see if you can send the sound to the SB from the TV (they have audio out). 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I have disconnected the fetch box and now have just the TV connected to the Yamaha via Optical works fine. I tried to contact Optus thru that Messaging app (its a nightmare) for them to take back the Fetch Mighty and send a replacement. but couldnt get onto the Fetch team so will have to try again tomorrow.

So i think you could be right If and When i get another Mighty box i will just connect it thru the TV and leave the optical thru the Yamaha.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey jeepers

If you're having trouble organising a replacement box organised please send our social media team a message on Facebook or Twitter. They'll be able to get this organised for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I got it sorted on the phone..replacement on the way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Well that will teach me: I was having a look around the menu's of th Mighty box and in the Audio/Visual section there's an Advanced option where you can disable the HDCP 2.2 and force HDMI 1.4a.

So i disabled it and now i am back to my normal setup with everything connected to the Yamaha. I wish Fetch would have put that option when  installing the mighty on non 4K TV's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wow! That I didn't know. Fetch finally made a workaround for the bug. Wonder if its hardware related or just in the menu. I'll go see tonight.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors