Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bloss
New Contributor
New Contributor

Closed Captions

We have a Fetch Gen 2 remote and can't get closed captions on SBS on Demand (unless the audio is in a foreign language).  We want to watch The Handmaid's Tale -  it has closed captioning but pressing the TEXT buttons tells me the subtitles are ON but nothing appears on screen. 

There are no instructions in the Fetch Setup Guide.

Can someone advise please? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JordanOptus
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Closed Captions

Hmmm, that's really odd Bloss 😕

Just to confirm, have you spoken with Tech Support yet? They should be able to shed some light on what's happening there.

These two different threads also have some info on subtitles with Fetch.

Cheers,

Jordan

0 Kudos
astor300
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also have the same problem.  Apparently there is some sort of problem between our master Optus & the rest of the world like SBS on Demand, to make our lives difficult. Smiley Indifferent

Last year I was told that early in 2018 the problem would be resolved but it hasn't been.Smiley Frustrated

All we can do is keep complaining. Which I do. However I have found out that if you record all the programs you wish to watch in the future, strangely they record with the captions. A bit late for some of the things I had hoped to watch, but at least I can get future things until this mess is sorted out between them.  It is galling when the original programs are all there with Closed Captions, so why on earth the captions are dropped, I have no idea.

0 Kudos
RogerJohn
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Same problem here with no closed captions for SBS on demand. Also no closed captions for Iview. However Channel 7 catch up does have closed captions. I have lodged a complaint through "https://offer.optus.com.au/faultreport/individual/"

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@RogerJohn

If you're watching a program, press the Info button on your remote twice. If Closed Captions are available, you'll see the 'CC' symbol.

To check whether a program has Closed Captions available, simply highlight the program in the EPG and press Info on your remote. If Closed Captions are available, the 'CC' symbol will be displayed. 

Does the 'CC' icon show up when you tap the info button? 

SBS on demand - the following is an extract from SBS on demand FAQ page: 

Closed captions are currently available on the website, iOS and Android apps, and some Connected TV apps. We are looking at implementing closed captions across all SBS On Demand Connected TV apps as they are updated. For Fetch TV, we are working to have closed caption available in early 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
RogerJohn
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it on some FTA programs. Strangely SBS, 7Flix and ABC when do not show CC but do have closed captions. Anyway it would appear the early 2018 date may have slipped a bit. I will raise the request with SBS

0 Kudos
Top Contributors