cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor mickp
New Contributor

Charged for so-called free meTV

Just be warned if you are offered free me TV with your package. Optus will actually add the cost to your bill! What a con. And they aren't taking billing enquiries by phone at the moment so you cant even call to complain.

15 Replies
RetiredModerator Ian
RetiredModerator

Re: Charged for so-called free meTV

@mickp wrote:

Just be warned if you are offered free me TV with your package. Optus will actually add the cost to your bill! What a con. And they aren't taking billing enquiries by phone at the moment so you cant even call to complain.

Not a con mickp, sounds like a mistake with the order which we can fix for you...

You definitely should've been able to discuss the billing with us if you called around the same time you posted. Have you been able to speak to someone about this yet?

0 Kudos
New Contributor retrorun
New Contributor

"free" me TV not Free???

Hello,

I think that the same thing might be happening to me??? and would like some help. (I have have to say that customer service from Optus has been excellent in the past... so I'm hoping that this is just an error in the proforma email sent from optus). I have all my tech through optus (internet/home & mobile phone) and recently "signed" up for the $140 per month internet/home phone bundle (that included a 25% discount on the $140 plan because I also have a $30 Optus Mobile monthly plan or higher (higher in my case). According to the optus flyer this bundle plan would also include (quoting here).. "optus TV with fetch connect Package included at no extra cost". I had explained to me that the powerline adaptor would costs $19.95 (a one off payment)... all fair enough. I recently received, however, an email stating that I would be charged not only a $19.95 fee for the powerline adaptor (fair enough) but I would also be charged $9.95 per month for the next 24 months for the optus meTV with fetch. When I went to the help section link provided on the email proforma it only took me to the how to use/set up optus TV etc so I've come to this forum to try and arrange for the error to be rectified. As I am a heavy user of apple TV (no need to pay for monthly access there) & itunes I didn't actually need the optus TV facility but was happy to receive access to the facility as a free bonus (with a view to purchasing movies through optus if they prove to be more economical than itunes (not be charged for access). Thank you kindly in advance for your assistance

RetiredModerator Ian
RetiredModerator

Re: "free" me TV not Free???

Hey retrorun, we'd need to look at the account to confirm the charges etc for you. If you can send details using our online form we can look into it and get in touch 🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor Nick
New Contributor

Retrorun,

Well, well, well, the same thing happened to me.  Our situations are almost identical - Fetch was offered free wth a $140 bundle plan.., I only took it because it was free..., I already have Apple TV so wan't really keen on yet another STB..., I was happy to pay the one-off fee for the powerline adaptor and any charges for film rentals, but not a monthly service fee - yada, yada, yada.  The telemarketing sales agent was very specific that there would be no montly charge for Fetch, just the film rental fees, etc.

When I received the plan confirmation email from Optus it stated that I must pay 9.95 a month for Fetch. I rang Optus the same day and they apologised and said this was a mistake and the account provisioning had been corrected.  When I set up the system it asked on screen to accept 9.95 a month in charges, so I rang Optus again and they apologised (again) and said this was a mistake (again) and the account had been corrected (again). 

Then I received the first bill with the service charged to my account, and I had to ring Optus again.  They apologised, credited the charges, etc, etc, swore that it was a system "glitch" that would not happen again, etc. 

To be candid I am cynical and wonder whether Optus - or its partner Oceania that sells plan upgrades - is hoping that the small charge will not be noticed and people will just pay it. There are a lot of reports of this in various forums on the internet.  I don't like to accuse Optus of inappropriate practices, but I was told on three separate occiasions the account had been set up correctly.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tom
RetiredModerator

Hey Nick,

I'm sorry about the billing issues that you've been having on your account. If there is still an outstanding issue on the account please send your info via the link that Ian posted previously and we can check this out for you.

In regards to the MeTV offer, the way that it works is that a charge will appear on your account for the MeTV base charge, but due to the plan you're on you should see a discount that offsets this charge. The reason it bills like this is because if you move to a lower home bundle plan down the track for instance, you'd no longer be entitled to receive the discount on the MeTV base plan.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor bradamie1
New Contributor

I think i am about to have the same issue so ill keep an eye on the actual invoice but it looks like optus needs to adjust their invoicing system

Product Description Price Contract Term

Optus MeTV Base Plan9.9512-month Contract / Monthly Payments
Optus MeTV Upfront fee0.0One-off Payment
Powerline Adaptor19.95One-off Payment
Delivery fee0.0One-off Payment
Set Top Box 1st Generation0.0Zero Payment
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor tooly888
Occasional Contributor

The invoice you show here  is exactly the same as the one that I received after being assured by TOM the OPTUS MODERATOR that it will be of no cost to me.

I have received my account and I have been charged $9.95 for the ME TV service

I will be so happy when my contracts expire with OPTUS so I can go elsewhere to someone who is honest with their customers

Occasional Contributor tooly888
Occasional Contributor

all sorted now by telephone , pity about their 1300 number policy
they make sure you have to call and then charge 35 cents for phone call
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tom
RetiredModerator
Moved:

Re: Charged for so-called free meTV

0 Kudos