cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Channel Nine and affiliate stations Pixelation

Ever since the Brindabella update all channel nine stations are badly pixelated. I did a FTA test in the settings menu and all channels except Nine are signal quality 100% and signal strength around 95%. Channel nine stations are Signal quality around 55% and signal strength 50%. I did a full channel re-scan and its still the same.I even did a soft reset and its no different.

So i can watch all channels except Nine and its affiliate stations, Either the tuners on the FetchTV box are going or Channel Nine has Halved its signal to the Illawarra ( i dont think its this option). So How do i go about fixing this and please dont tell me to phone tech support they wont tell me to do anything i havent already tried.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Channel Nine and affiliate stations Pixelation

Possibly your antenna has some damage to the area that recieves the channel 9 bandwidth. More likely the Nine broadcast has changed slightly recently. Before if you ran the scan you'd possibly have found your reception was 60% (which would have provided a perfect image). Now its dropped to 55% and you're over the "digital cliff" so the image is starting to break up badly.

Note just FYI each network broadcasts its all of its channels in a single big data stream called a mux. That's why if one channel is dodgy then all the channels will be dodgy.

First thing to try (as a test) is remove any splitters or antenna cables etc. other than the antenna cable from the wall to the fetch box.

You could get an antenna guy out to try better position your antenna. 

Alternatively a booster like this would possibly work.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply....As a test i connected my tv directly to the aerial (instead of it being connected thru the Fetchtv box) and ALL channels are perfect no pixelation whatsoever. So i dont think its my antenna, I put the aerial back onto the Fetchtv box and Nine is again Pixelated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I understand how it might not appear to be a reception issue, but it is still most likely to be something in your setup than the Fetch tuners etc. All tuners have slightly different performance capability (even within the same models). Your TV tuners may be able to handle the 55% signal while your Fetch TV require 60%. The nature of digital TV is it either works or doesn't work (old anologue would keep on giving you a picture that steady worsened right down to 0%. Digital TV gives you 100% picturedown to a set point where it rapidly hits 0% picture.

Any chance you could take your box over to a neighbours for a quick test?

Either way I think you have two main options. 

1) If you think its the Fetch box then as its leased from Optus you can get it swapped over any time (about 15 day turn around at the moment). Unfortunately the minute you order the replacement its likely your current box will be deactivated.

2) I think the following splitter/booster would solve your issue given your TV can get the signal fine. It would put channel nine just back over the line again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Once again thanks for the reply....I will reiterate this has only started since the Brindabella update before that update all channels were perfect Nothing in my setup has changed it is still the same as i had before the update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thurs 17sep20. have been having lots of problems with Channel 9 and associated 9 channels reception. screen is pixelating or "black screen" viewing through the FETCH box to the point it is not viewable.  SAMSUNG Smart TV works OK when I change the source. (old TV in the kitchen connected to the same aerial works OK).  have purchased a splitter and have last week exchanged a new FETCH box. the problem is still there.  many conversations with OPTUS.  last night Nine was OK and sometimes it is viewable but mostly not viewable through the FETCH box.  it comes and goes but is mostly gone. I live at Emu Plains and it is very windy tonight - watching football - but not on the FETCH box. This means I can never record anything on 9 as all recordings are pixelated.  I am beyond knowing what to do next.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @SandyW, sorry to hear of your experience.  There are a number of things that can determine the fetch experience, signal strength being one of them. If your other TV is working fine and the issue is just with this TV then this means its certainly the signal that is not strong enough coming through fetch.  I'd recommend checking our online guide for free to Air Channels guide at this link

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You purchased a power splitter? 

Have you tried running the fetch plugged in at the kitchen?

After testing that I would get an antenna guy in to actually measure your reception. They might find issues with your antenna or be able to tell you with actual readings what is going on. Also you have lines from the aerial going to multiple rooms. reducing them from a single line from the antenna to the Fetch unit could help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fri 18sep20 midnight - channel 9 was pixelating and then all the nine channels vanished, black screen.  I did a channel scan 10 times and could only pull in 34 channels and gave up, none of them were channel 9.  usual no. of channels is 58 which includes nine "channel 9s" e.g. 9HD, 9NOW, 9Gem, 9Go, 9Life, 9Rush .... 

Sat 19sep20 4pm - Did a channel scan and pulled up 59 channels, all perfectly clear but only one of them is a 9 channel  which was 9NOW, very clear.  You would think that if 9NOW tuned in then the other channel 9s would have come in.  have now got some channels havent had before and I suppose some could be duplicates, cant be bothered looking. am reluctant to do another channel scan as it might go back to 34 channels.  I havent touched or changed anything on TV or the FETCH box or the aerial.  I am reluctant to buy or unplug anything cause everyone tells me conflicting info. by the way I am on NBN OPTUS.  It was OPTUS who told me to buy a aerial splitter which I did and who also said buy antenna signal booster but other info says no to this so I havent.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @SandyW As this issue was isolated to one Free to Air channel, it would suggest that issue was relating to your signal. Unlike the standard TV with one TV tuner, the Fetch Mighty set-top box has four tuners, this is what allows you to record multiple channels at once. Therefore, breaking up what may already be a poor signal across multiple tuners, may result in some pixelation or channels not being found when performing a channel scan.

Usually it's best to consult a professional TV/aerial Technician for any free-to-air reception issues. They may perform a series of checks to assess:

- The quality of the signal strength in your area
- Whether your antenna is pointing the right direction
- If you require a signal booster
- Whether all your components are correctly installed

Just in case you have not done so, I would recommend doing a Soft Reset of your Fetch Top Box as well. This will help clear any interruptions 

Top Contributors