Searching...

Block/remove YouTube app on Fetch

DeWo

Hi

Is there any way to hide/remove or passcode restrict access to the YouTube app (as with the Netflix one)?

At the moment I can't find any way to stop my children searching for or watching things we'd rather they didn't!

The YouTube parental controls are device, not account, based so hoping there is a solution.

Thanks 

Re: Block/remove YouTube app on Fetch

SamSam

I don't have a Fetch TV myself but found this https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/IntelliArticlePage?id=1690&typename=BROWSE&keyw...

They only reference restricting content, not apps but just wanted to check you're aware of the parental code and have given it a try?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

DeWo

Thanks SamSam I have a parental code. It restricts access to Fetch channels and the Netflix app but seemingly none of the other apps 

Caledoz

Hi DeWo, I had a look on my Gen 2 Fetch and it does not look like it is possible.

One option would be to ask Optus to upgrade you to the Fetch Mighty box, I have read on the forum that people are complaining about not having TouTube on the new Mighty box and not expecting to get it anytime soon.

And who knows, when they will get it on the new box, maybe there will be an option to block it.

Good luck

SamSam

oh that's disappointing DeWo. I thought you might have tried that already though. Unfortunately I don't think you have another option, at least not throught he device itself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

djmills21

Hi,

if you hve the Optus Fetch device then presumably you have an Optus internet connection.  If they supplied you with a Netgear cable modem, then it comes with an OpenDNS account.  You can set this up to blacklist youtube.com.  The downside is that no-one at your house will be able to watch youtube.

But it's what we do and it works well.

Highlighted

Bolognese

I want to do the same. Same problem with my son being addicted to Youtube. Its ridiculous that Fetch has hardcoded the app with no parental controls.

Which URLs did you use?

I tried the following and that did'nt seem to block the app:

www.youtube.com/tv

www.youtube.com/

Fatso

Yep. We want the same control! It's bull5hit having a device that has open slather like that! 

I even blocked the url in the nbn modem but that is usefully as titson abull!

The stupid Optus sagemcom NBN box is useless to as there's very little ability within it to actually control anything!

wendyoz5

how do you block it from the open dns ???  i using windows 10 , with microsoft edge (and sometimes chrome)  and we have the NBN box.  Can we still block you tube, as my kids are constantly sneaking on and i am tired of always having to tell them off for it...PLEASE OPTUS...let us lock it off

Fatso

well, we've been upgraded to the V3 fetch because our V2 died.... even with the latest firmware update which happened last week there is still NO option to restrict these f*king apps like youtube....... 

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS OTHERWISE YOUR DEVICE IS USELESS AND SITTING IN THE BOX UNUSED (THANKFULLY WE DON'T PAY FOR THE FETCH "SERVICE" THOUGH AS IT'S A PART OF OUR NBN DEAL)

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
15 Kudos
12 Kudos