cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor MJ4
New Contributor

Adding 3rd party fetch box

I have been trying to get an answer from Tech support but have got nowhere.

Is it possible to add a Fetch mini purchsed at JB hifi to my Optus Fetch account? I have activated the mini but the account had to be through Fetch not Optus, can Optus get its serial and add to my Optus account?

Their website just says you can add more boxes, so I went and bought one. Im starting to think the new mini will only work through its own Fetch account meaning I would have to pay for the channel pack again per month.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Adding 3rd party fetch box

Simple answer is no. They have been designed to be incompatible. 

If you want to have subscribed packs on other units you'll need to purchase them again from Fetch directly.

On the plus side you own the 3rd party box. You'll need to send the Optus one back if you ever leave.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor MJ4
New Contributor

Wish that was noted on the Optus page, looks like I will have to sell the 3rd party box.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agree the incompatability should be clearly explained - especially as Optus is sourcing their units from Fetch themselves and are fully aware they have been programmed not to be compatible. Optus also down play the 'leasing' aspect of the Fetch units and I imagine a lot of customers are surprised to find that after years of payments they still don't own the box.

If you're selling the 3rd party box, make sure its clear you got it from JBHiFi or whoever and that it is activated with FetchTV directly. Plenty of people trying to sell Optus Fetch boxes second hand that are essentially boat anchors.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor MJ4
New Contributor

Ive seen some 2nd hand Optus boxes on Gumtree, I take it people never got permission to sell? They are always to be returned?

Does Optus cancel boxes when they arent returned?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

They always remain the property of Optus. Optus does deactivate them. 

Currently Optus will also auto charge a $250 non return fine if you don't send it back. (Paying the fine doesn't mean the box is then yours)

As a general rule, be extremely careful buying Fetch Boxes from individuals off eBay.

Peter Gillespie