Searching...

5.1 Surround Fetch Mighty Issue

Lab007

Hi, I recently received the new Fetch Mighty Box as a replacement for my older Fetch Gen2 box. However I have found an issue when playing files through the media hub on the mighty, some files do not play in 5.1 (even when it is surround encoded) through my amp where the Gen 2 would. The audio settings are selected for 5.1 playback and the connections (HDMI) are plugged in correctly the only difference is, are the boxes. So why is it that the mighty doesn't playback surround on some files where the Gen2 would? Is this because the Mighty and Gen 2 have different audio compatibilities? And has anyone else had the same issue & is there a fix? This is extremely frustrating as it would only make sense that the mighty would have more compatibilities then the Gen2

Hoping to here a response

- Dan

Re: 5.1 Surround Fetch Mighty Issue

Jeneral__Pain

Are you sure that the two devices are talking correctly to each other? 

When you say files through media hub? Are you sure it’s correctly decoding the file to begin with, or that it’s selecting the correct encoding? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

[ Edited ]
Lab007

I do believe the two devices are talking correctly, as there are limited files that do play in surround (compared to the Gen 2 which played all files in surround) & also channels like 9HD & 7HD do also play in Dolby digital. So the mighty and the amp do appear to be talking to each other correctly.

Well for the number of files that do include the DD surround encoding but does not play in surround. I believe that the mighty does not correctly decode these files, giving the reason for it to not play in surround but it could also be plausible for the mighty to be selecting an incorrect encoding perhaps.

Is there a way to manually select the type of encoding within the file through settings or something, to force it to decode the specific encoding?

I just don’t understand as to why the Gen 2 was able to play these files in surround without any problems and as to where the mighty is incapable of playing the same files in surround.

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

Hi @Lab007 , I've tested a 5.1 media file on my Mighty to Marantz SR5003 via HDMI and it is diplaying the red dolby logo with all 6 channels as the input. Tried it on channel 90, the red dolby logo and 2 channels input. The dolby digital version for channel 90 at this instance is dolby 2.0. Are you connecting the Mighty to your AVR via HDMI?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Lab007

Hi @SillyGogo Unfortunately my AVR does not display the amount of output channels, it only displays the Dolby digital logo where applicable. I manually check whether there are 6-channel output by putting ear next to rear speakers etc. When playing some files that do include DD encoding through the Mighty’s media hub the Dolby digital icon does not appear and there is no audio going to the centre or rear speakers but playing the same file through the Gen 2's media hub, the Dolby digital does appear and there is audio coming from all 6 channels. I just want to know why this is and how to fix it.

And yep they are connected through HDMI. 

SillyGogo

Hmm, it is hard to pin point where the issues from, i would start to narrow it down and start trouble shoting. 

possible cause

1. Fault Mighty (unit, decoding, compartibility, HDCP, not lock on to DD)

2. Hdmi cable not compartiable (length, speed etc)

Some users have reported that the 5.1 setting does not set, hard reset the unit resolved for some. Try a hard reset if you haven't done so, be aware that your settings and recording will be lost. 

It could be a HDMI and HDCP handshake issue. Try with a another HDMI cable, try to get one with HighSpeed. 

If all failed then contact Optus for a replacement box. Not sure if they will replace the unit on this reason. 

This is a link to some standard DD demo files, download a few and put them on an USB stick and test them out on the mighty

https://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
50 Kudos
19 Kudos
16 Kudos
15 Kudos
12 Kudos