cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor patb
New Contributor

4K (or even just plain 1080p) EPL

Hi Optus, when will you deliver a UHD, or even plain HD sports streaming service? 720p is seriously behind the times.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 4K (or even just plain 1080p) EPL

HD is defined as anything better than 576p. 

Arguably 720p is better suited to shows with a lot of motion. More resolution involves trade offs.

But ultimately there's only so much data you can send down the wire and experience shows that people that invest in sports generally will put  up with just about anything to watch their team (SD video, Ads, Subscriptions, Ads and Ads.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor patb
New Contributor

Well I’ve seen 4K sports and they look amazing. I’m also fairly sure that my FTTP NBN will come just fine with the bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Definitely something for Optus to aspire to and certainly something to keep requesting. 

One of the big benefits of the original FTTP roll out was that the whole nation's access to much higher internet speeds would have meant providers could work with that new (much higher) number and rollout some amazing new products and content (like 4K sports). Unfortunately companies like Optus have to work to the lowest common denominator to reach the largest potential customer base. Fortunately its no longer 5Mbps ADSL2 speeds but its also not going to be FTTP speeds. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@patb. I understand your frustration as the EPL is broadcast in the UK at 4k (perhaps, if Foxtel win the next rights, your wish will come true). I believe that 720p is more than adequate for sport (it certainly is for AFL), noting that 1080i is no better than 720p. I also agree that 4k is excellent, and much better.

Optus are new to this game and probably don't yet have the infrastructure in place for a 4k service. They may well be heading down that path. Also, they may have decided to offer at 720p to make the price attractive to fans; maybe they'll offer an additional, premium service in future - if they're serious, they'll probably have to.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@patb. Looks like Optus will offer 4k with their (new) 5G service. That will take time to roll out but is potentially a serious threat to the Abbott-Turnbull NBN (MTM - the copper downgrade of FTTP).

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

5G is still pretty ephemeral in nature.

Still no one actually using it and initial plans (like Optus $70 unlimited for 50 people) aren't really indicative of what may come. More disconcerting is that for this revolutionary wireless product is that with only 50 users Optus can only spruik ~50Mbps (something most of those on the unlucky FTTN get). Not really dazzling, but then Optus just wanted to be able to say "First!".

I look forward to seeeing how it evolves but IMO 5G is likely to just bed in the 4G plans already being offered at similar price points. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Antonino
Occasional Contributor

You believe watching Football in 720p is adequate. You clearly don't watch alot of sport. The feeds from Optus are horrible. On demand is even worse with jerky ball movement. It is a rubbish service they are providing. Watching Kayo in 1080p is miles better than Optus's 720p. 4k, sure, hard to stream, loads of bandwidth, but we should have 1080p MINIMUM for those who can use it. As much as I hate Foxtel, Optus has ruined Premier League viewing in Australia. #floptus
0 Kudos
Top Contributors