The long weekend is nearly here – time to break out the speakers for a poolside party. Check out Yes... Read the full story
With the approaching launch of Netflix in Australia we want to make sure you have all of the necessary information to get the most out of your service. One of the more important aspects is the required connection speeds and how it will affect the quality of your streaming.
Here’s a general guide for the connection speeds you’ll require:
- 0.5 Mbps - Required broadband connection speed
- 1.5 Mbps - Recommended broadband connection speed
- 3.0 Mbps - Recommended for SD quality
- 5.0 Mbps - Recommended for HD quality
- 25 Mbps - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
If you’re unsure of your connection speed you can test it here. Please keep in mind your connection speed may vary throughout the day and week which in turn may affect the quality of stream you’re able to receive.
General Streaming Services
Each movie/TV streaming service varies however please see below for a general guide on recommended connection speeds.
- 0.5 Mbps – This is the absolute minimum connection speed you can have for some streaming services whilst others recommend much higher
- 1.5 Mbps – This is the minimum recommended connection speed for low quality streaming by most providers
- 2.5-3 Mbps – This is the recommended connection speed for Standard definition streaming
- 3.5-6.5 Mbps – This is the recommended connection speed for High Definition streaming
- 25 Mbps – This is the recommended connection speed for Ultra High Definition streaming
If you’re unsure of your internet speed you can run a speed test here. Please keep in mind that your speed may vary throughout the day which in turn may affect the quality of stream you’re able to receive. In order to change your quality preference you should check with your service provider for instructions on how to do so.