Searching...
Highlighted

Static IP on Wifi Data Sim

Stimpy

I have been assigned a static public IP that I cant use because my data sim will not connect to the "yesbusinessip" apn... this is the only apn i can use for a static IP on a wifi dongle...

One department tells me I need a business plan to use that APN, then the business department tells me I dont need a business account and it can be provisioned on my consumer account as it is.

Someone is full of it. How did the IP get provisioned if i was on an incompatable plan? 

I have since registerd my data sim under my business name and given optus my ABN... they say its a business sim now but that its still on a consumer plan... wtf? Also i was told that it would only cost me an extra 5.00 to have a static IP... now that my phone and my data sim are not bundled because the phone is not a business phone - im being charged an extra 10.00 + an extra 5.00 and i have no access to the static IP that was provisioned for me....

Do i need a business plan or a consumer plan? How do I have a business sim on a consumer plan?

Why do I get transferd to a buisness department who then transfers me back to the optus main switchboard - do you people know anything about the products you claim to sell?

I have phoned optus over 20 times about this...

Re: Static IP on Wifi Data Sim

Paddylee

So to start with, you wont get a public ip let alone a static IP on 4g (unless your on an enterprise plan).

Consumer & SMB plans are the same for the most part

There was business only 3g plans that had a static ip address, but I did not think they were still around.

Response about this from a Moderator (Optus Staff Member)

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Mobile-Broadband-Static-IP-or-DDNS/m-p/384430/h...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Stimpy

No... i actually have one they have recited to me... im not sure if i should set the dongle to 3g or 4g... most other users who have tried this say its only a 3g connection on that apn... but optus has told me it would be 4g and to confirm the number i got was a static public ip - it starts with 53 ie its 53.x.x.x    its in the public ip range and not actually one of the happy - lets all share a public ip number and be on a private 10.x.x.x network...

Isps are selling internet and not being able to cater for incomming connections... this is like selling half of internet or no internet... you are on a private network not the internet... people who have been sold internet under this craptacular system have at no point explained to them that they will be on a private network and not actually on the internet... my old adsl router got a public ip every time 20 years ago .... what happend to the internet? People who dont need incomming connections should be sold a cheeper produduct....

Stimpy

No... i actually have one they have recited to me... im not sure if i should set the dongle to 3g or 4g... most other users who have tried this say its only a 3g connection on that apn... but optus has told me it would be 4g and to confirm the number i got was a static public ip - it starts with 53 ie its 53.x.x.x    its in the public ip range and not actually one of the happy - lets all share a public ip number and be on a private 10.x.x.x network...

Isps are selling internet and not being able to cater for incomming connections... this is like selling half of internet or no internet... you are on a private network not the internet... people who have been sold internet under this craptacular system have at no point explained to them that they will be on a private network and not actually on the internet... my old adsl router got a public ip every time 20 years ago .... what happend to the internet? People who dont need incomming connections should be sold a cheeper produduct....and it should not be called internet

Paddylee

So once again, no public ip on Optus 4g (your not an enterprise cusotmer so those plans dont apply).

IPV4 addresses  have pretty much run out and now companies bid on (hundreds of thousands of dollars per block) whats left from each other, hence why nearly every mobile provider in Australia uses whats called CGNAT.

For everyday use they work perfectly fine - I use Optus 4g with them and can do everything like gaming, logging into work via VPN to even watching cat videos on youtube.  Only thing that wont work is remoteing in to my machine externally.

Most users dont need this and dont notice any different, your still connected through to the internet after all.

Users share a public IP, for example mine starts with a 49.197.xx.xx so I dont directly get a private IP.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
2 Kudos
1 Kudo
1 Kudo
1 Kudo