Searching...
Highlighted

Attaching an Optus Email account to Outlook 2016

DBM

I have recently set up an Optus Webmail account (2 actually) and am trying to connect it to my Outlook 2016 application.  The instructions on the Optus site only go up to Outlook 2010 but I assumed that the crux of it would remain the same:  a POP incoming mail connection and an SMTP outgoing mail connection.  The connection address for both incoming and outgoing is mail.optusnet.com.au  The defaults for this turn out to be ports 995 (incoming) and 25 (outgoing).  Optus' instructions for Outlook 2010 are for ports 110 (incoming) and 25 (outgoing).   Using the 995 port, I get a message that Outlook failed to connect for outgoing mail.  If I change the 995 to 110 then it fails faster with a message saying that it could not connect for incoming mail.  Does anyone know how to make this work?

Re: Attaching an Optus Email account to Outlook 2016

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I can't answer your direct query but have you considered the decision to use RSP owned email addresses for a buisness account? It means if you ever wish to leave Optus you will lose access and control over those addresses. You could consider buying an email address GSuite? or just using the free GMail (Instructions) or perhaps cheapest to grab a domain from GoDaddy

Peter Gillespie

Ray_YC

I have contacted our Help and Support team who manages that page to request it be updated with steps for Outlook 2016.

Can't give you a timeframe but as soon as I hear something back I'll update here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

DBM

Thanks Peter.  We already have permanent aliases on our own domain.  These are just the underlying accounts I am setting up.

DBM

Thanks Ray - in the meantime, is there anywhere that I can go for help on getting an Optus Mail account into Outlook?  I've been told that I might need to look at a local firewall setting (but I would expect that to affect incoming rather than outgoing connection).  It doesn't seem like a port issue since every mention I've found of ports agrees that it should be 25 for outgoing SMTP.  I tried setting the encryption option to "none" but it made no difference.  There don't seem to be many moving parts and I just can't get this set up to work! :-(

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
2 Kudos
1 Kudo
1 Kudo
1 Kudo