Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Your device is rooted

Fralil

I'm getting this error message when I am trying to launch Optus Sports. Anyone facing the same issue or having a fix?

Re: Your device is rooted

petergdownload

Is your phone rooted?

I didn't think this was a restriction on the Optus app but maybe?

Peter Gillespie

liverpoolmelb

It may not be a phone.

I have a 2 media players:

1. A chromecast

2. a media payer (i got it to actually use it for using OptusSport on)

Streaming through the Chromecast is nowhere near as good as having a physical ethernet connected media player. It is an android device version 6.1.

Now when opening up the app (that you download through the App Store) Optus Sport, is comes up with that same error: you are using a rooted devoce optus sport will now close.

Chromecast is a media player why not block that too?

As soon as i think wow Optus are starting to really outdo themselves you got the World Cup, now i can't even watch it on my TV. I'm a paying cutomer who are you to pick and choose what device i can watch it from.

Rooted Device on Media/TV Box

[ Edited ]
liverpoolmelb

Hi there i'm encountering the Rooted Device issue others are, but not on a phone.

I have a 2 media tv players:

1. A chromecast

2. a media tv player (i got it to actually use it for watching OptusSport on)

Streaming through the Chromecast is nowhere near as good as having a physical ethernet connected media player. It is an android device version 6.1.

Now when opening up the app Optus Sport, is comes up with error: you are using a rooted devoce optus sport will now close.

Have the programmers accidentally done this? 

Is it on purpose?  If so Chromecast is a media player why not block that too?

As soon as i think wow Optus are starting to really outdo themselves you got the World Cup, now i can't even watch it on my TV.

Re: Rooted Device on Media/TV Box

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I suspect it's on purpose. Optus are big on trying to limit . Ways to viewing their content (let's face it, what content owner isn't). No doubt the have been apps developed that let rooted devices record what is on their screen. It's possible this protection has always been in place but Optus only recently turned it on in response to some new APK.

Chrome car isn't a media player by itself. It requires smoother device to initiate the content download. So Optus can still be confident content paying through a Chromecast can't be recorded.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS all this is just supposition on my part.

petergdownload

On reflection, it probably is a copy protection initiative. See comments on this thread

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Resolve-Issues/Rooted-Device-on-Media-TV-Box/m-p/419967#M2787/jump-...

Regards

Peter Gillespie

liverpoolmelb

Hi Pete,

i get what you're saying, but I thought i'dbring up the CHromecast because it is still viewing it on a device through a different route if you know what i mean.

I actually do not want to use wifi at all, bluetooth, etc. none of it. Why bother when theres a more stable and safer way to have your home.

I have a feeling it's had something to do with the World Cup coming. And the restrictions are much tighter when it comes to the licensing. Before that the main goal was not having Optus customers complaining so they opened the app up to all devices and sources. Hopefully after the World Cup they set it back. I don't have a smart TV, i'm not made of money, i got a little box and downloaded the Optus Sport app onto the box. Why allow people to download the app at all if they're going to decide what is suitable to view it on - it is legal to have a media box/tv player.

Seriously it would have been great if Fox Sports kept the EPL. It's like Channel 7 having the AFL. They've a TV company and have had how many years to not put idiots like Darcy and Ling onto the show who think their job is to do their best to mimic locker room chat (a.k.a Triple M good ol' boys). I know i've gotten off topic but i hate Darcy and Ling. Such useless callers. If only Dennis Cometti was immortal. 

Signing off,

N.

petergdownload

The Chromecast though is still a secure device as far as Optus is concerned. 

I agree there probably was something of a deliberate honey trap where protection is not applied for initial signups (although Optus has had EPL for over a year now I believe)

Given the idea is to stop people recording and presumably sharing content I think its unikely they'll relax the protection. Espicially as unrooting the device returns functionality.

Yes its legal to own a media play, its actually also legal to stream any copyright material you want with it. However that doesn't mean Optus has to make it easy for you to do so. There's a reason that so far actions to shut down 'kodi' boxes have concentrated on shutting down access to the sites and not on the boxes themselves.

As a possible solution (short of buying a new TV or unrooting) you should be able to get a cheap wired media player just for watching the EPL? 

Alternatively this is just some temporary glitch and it all goes away soon.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

M34NM0F0

Same here, tried calling support last night and the first half was over before I hung up. Chat said they could not help and were putting me through to the "OPTUS Sport" helpline.

What aload of utter bollix.

I have an android box set up to watch OPTUS Sports as one of the 4 devices I am allowed so why can't I watch out it. 

Sort it out optus or I'm off to consumer affairs.

Cheers M34N

robmGC

Hi l

box rooted?

30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos
11 Kudos
11 Kudos