Searching...

Why the hell do you use Silverlight?

samktan

Dear Optus,

I think the subject line says it all, why the hell, in this age of internet standards, do you use a proprietary technology to deliver content? It is obvious that Silverlight is not required to view the content as I can play the video on my mobile phone which does not have Silverlight, so there is no reason to expect that the same content wouldn't play on my laptop.

Microsoft Edge doesn't support plugins, so users on Windows 10 won't be able to use Silverlight. Firefox is ending support for plugins in 2016, so in six months none of those users (myself included) will be able to use Silverlight.

Even YouTube has moved away from using Flash to deliver their videos, and Flash is far more prevalent than Silverlight. How much is Microsoft paying you to distribute their software?

Get with the program, Optus!!!

Re: Why the hell do you use Silverlight?

Hollie

Heya @samktan

Our developers have worked pretty hard on making the Optus Sports App the best it can be, I am aware that it is currently not available for Windows phone customers however you should still be able to view content via your PC by logging into the Optus Sports page here once you have registered.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

samktan

If you read my post again, you will see that my problem is not related to Windows Mobile, not even close.

My problem is that in order to view the EPL videos on my desktop (Windows) or laptop (OS X) I have to install Microsoft Silverlight which I object to. Why do I have to install a plugin *just* to view your videos?

If YouTube, Vimeo, Google Play can all play videos on my desktop and laptop without any plugins, why must Optus use Silverlight? I can view the videos just fine on my mobile phone which doesn't have Silverlight so it's obvious that your video files are not in some proprietary Silverlight format.

Fix your website so that I can play videos in my browser without having to install insecure 3rd party plugins that compromise the stability and security of my system.

Nghi

We've noted your concerns and passed along your feedback to our development team.

Highlighted

guestgulkan

OP is totally correct.  Only Internet Explorer supports Silverlight I think.  It is a dead technology.

Why would you develop a *new* site and choose Silverlight?  It's really bizarre. Chrome stopped supporting it a year or two ago.

Prepare to be flooded with support queries like this: "I can't get it working on my browser!!!" because you made a very poor technology choice.

Enjoy.

[ Edited ]
mgk

I use a Windows Phone (Lumia 950) and it plays fine in the browser. There just is not an app.

Edit: This was a reply to Hollie above. Not sure why there is a 'reply' button on each post if they just appear at the bottom anyway?

yppahton

In the absence of a PS4 app for Optus Sport, I tried using the PS4 browser to watch the games instead, which I thought would have been far more convenient than plugging my laptop into the TV or shelling out for yet another type of box.

I, too, was shocked (shocked!) to see that the website was built using a proprietary and virtually obsolete technology. Someone deserves a shoeing for that decision.

Hollie

Hey @mgk -  thanks for the info, at the moment we don't have any info on an App for your phone but have definitely passed your feedback on.

Heya @yppahton - will definitely pass your feedback on, we are looking at new ways for customers to be able to watch content in the future but at the moment PS4 isn't supported.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Benks

wow, just when I thought the Optus Sports platform couldn't get any worse, I just tried to watch a VOD via the website for the first time and I nearly fell out of my chair when it prompted me to install Silverlight! Glad to see I'm not the only one perturbed by this.

Hollie

Hey @Benks - it is the platform our content developers have used however in some browsers such as Google Chome you shouldn't need to download anything as it should be already installed.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
1 Kudo