Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Benjohno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Smart TVs won’t connect to network

Hi,

Just changed over from Optus cable to NBN (sigh)

My LAN won’t allow Smart TV to accept internet connection, this includes fetch box. When running via wifi it’s fine. I have 6 devices all doing the same thing. Prior to being on NBN this was not an issue.

The weird thing is if I plug in my laptop into any port that the TV is plugged into I can connect to the LAN and have an internet connection.

An example is the fetch box which displays a connection to the network, displays an IP address but fails to connect when prompted.

Yes the wifi is fine, but defeats the purpose for putting the network in.

I’ve played with the network settings as seen in here but with no reward. Is there a setting within the modem that may need to be configured to allow connection.

Settings for one of the TVs I’m am trying are as follows
IP address 192.168.0.10 (no IP conflict)
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DNS server 192.168.0.1

These setting mirror those of my laptop, obviously not with the IPv4 address.

Any ideas?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Smart TVs won’t connect to network

@BenjohnoOn the TV delete the IP settings and then let the TV auto detect the network again. I suspect that one of the IP addresses are NOT the same and the TV had remembered a previous setting that is causing the issue, but I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
Benjohno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ve just done a factory reset of one of the LG tv’s, it can’t even see the wired network, my laptop is plugged into the same switch and has a connection. If I change over the ports no luck. If I plug the network cable that is in the laptop and place in the TV no luck.
0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@BenjohnoSounds like a TV issue. Try searching for LG TV network issues and see how you go.

0 Kudos
Benjohno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Its not isolated to LG, It’s happening on an LG tv, a Sony tv and a Samsung tv, further to this the fetch box.

My fetch box says
- Ethernet cable connected
- IP address detected
X - internet connectivity
service connection

I’ve ruled out the switches around the house being the issue by going directly from the modem to all 6 TVs as well as the fetch box.....however, even without internet connection I can still watch YouTube through the fetch box.

If I take the network cable (it’s a long one I just knocked up) directly to any pc or laptop, there’s no issues getting the connection, if I plug it into a tv it’s a fail.

Is there a setting on the modem that needs to be ticked???
0 Kudos
Benjohno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Future note I’ve also completed a factory reset on two of the TVs but still getting the exact same issues with them
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

On the TV try changing your DNS Server to 1.1.1.1 and see if that makes a difference.
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Just changed over from Optus cable to NBN (sigh)"

Ten times faster upload and download speeds and can now choose any RSP or plan instead of just Optus. You're a hard person to satisfy 🐵

"The weird thing is if I plug in my laptop into any port that the TV"

Most likely reason is you have a DNS Server issue. Try going direct to an IP address number. Also as suggested setting it to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

Otherwise simplify things. The fact the laptop works means there is a difference between the network settings it has and that the TV has.

Remove the Optus modem and all other connections to it and just have a single cat5 cable going from say the TV to the little NBN NTD modem (I assume you are HFC NBN?). Or just have only 1 device connected on the network and see if you can get through.
0 Kudos
Benjohno
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Agree on a couple of your points, yes RSP, yes upload. But $30 more per moth to be capped at 100mbs down when I was averaging 130mbs, hence the sigh.

I’m running FTTC, no luck with 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. Ill try going from FTTC once I can get everyone of the network.

Cheers
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah the NBN wasn't really about us luck ones with 100Mbps cable already. More about spreading the love. Another plus side though is that instead of programming websites for 5-10Mbps connections this is now increasing to 25-50 Mbps assumed nation wide. A huge opportunity missed by going FTTN for 50% of the nation but you're still one of the lucky ones that dodged the FTTN bullet.

My main point would be that based on your diagnosis so far the issue has nothing to do with the NBN itself. That's all working correctly. There's some setup / configuration issue in your equipment that's causing the cable to be offline.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors