Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
A_Dub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Kelvinator Home Comfort connection

Hi Guys,
I’m having trouble connecting to my Kelvinator air conditioner remotely. I’ve recently switched to Optus NBN, through my previous ISP it wasn’t an issue, connect the AC via Kelvinator’s Home Comfort app and away you go, able to control, turn on and off the AC from work/out of home etc.
Now, I get a fail to connect or read device status when I’m not on the home wifi network, works perfectly when I’m at home but that kind of defies the point of being able to control it through the app!
If I had to guess, I’m thinking it’s some kind of permission or setting in the router as it is the only thing that has changed. Any ideas on how I can get this to connect?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Kelvinator Home Comfort connection

Unfortunately the Optus modem is pretty locked down and quite a lot of standard features can't be accessed.

1) Its possible you need to open a port in the modem. Look for Port Forwarding in a WAN section of the settings (Not sure Optus allow this)

2) The AC needs to be connected to your Optus modem on the 2.4GHz band. Confirm this is working on the modem (although the fact you can use it inside suggests it is).
Jack_YC

Hey @A_Dub, thanks for reaching out. I recommend you re-pair your AC to the Home Comfort App to see if this resolves the issue you're experiencing. Please ensure our smart phone is connected to the same WiFi network that you want to connect your AC to when you do this.

If that issue persist after trying that, I recommend sending our Techs a message directly via the My Optus App or our Message Us page for further assistance. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
1) Its possible you need to open a port in the modem. Look for Port Forwarding in a WAN section of the settings (Not sure Optus allow this)

That's almost certainly the case. Should be under Network Settings --> Port Forwarding.

A_Dub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jack_YC
Yep, done all that, works fine while I’m on the home network but doesn’t work when trying to turn it on from my mobile while away from home, tech support didn’t seem interested, basically told me it’s not supported and to contact the manufacturer.
Seems like a router issue as I didn’t have a problem with my last ISP, I don’t know much about routers but this feels like a pretty basic function that the Optus router isn’t capable of?
0 Kudos
A_Dub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc
I’ll have a look when I get home and see if this can be done with the Optus Router, never had to fiddle with this stuff before so learning on the fly!
0 Kudos
Rob_YC

Hey @A_Dub, thanks for letting us know the suggestions you've tried. 

I've just been doing some research myself into the AC, is it possible the geofencing location you have is set to a small radius there? I can see there appears to be a setting with the app where you can adjust that radius to suit. Just wanted to see if that could potentially be related to the issue or not. 

Let me know and I'll keep digging on my end if no luck. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

A_Dub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Rob_YC 

In the home comfort app? I can't see any settings regarding Geofencing? It only has a very limited number of settings to be honest! The only thing which has changed in my configuration is the Optus Modem, it worked prior to switching to Optus so my gut feel is still on the Modem/settings on the router

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Also try uninstalling the AC app and reinstalling - it could be the problem.
0 Kudos
A_Dub
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hi @petergdownload 

Just given that another go and still no luck, looks like i can see the port forwarding details to create a rule for it but i've got no idea what service, protocol or internal and external hosts to use?

router.png 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors