Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cannot setup email account in Outlook

My further question is the same as my original question from last Friday.

I want to know the correct settings to get my optusnet email using the Outlook app on my new phone.
If my settings are correct, I want to know why I instantly and continually get the response "The optusnet email server has timed out"

This should be a simple request.
It frankly should not be this difficult.

I await your assistance to make this simple thing happen.
0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

No worries @datachiefs.

This can be found on our Yes Crowd thread "Setting up Optusnet Email in Outlook 365", but here is a quick rundown:    

IMAP - Incoming mail server setting for use with your Optusnet email

Hostname: smtp.optusnet.com.au

Username: Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

Password: Your Optus net email password

Server port (no SSL): 143

Server port (with SSL): 993

IMAP - Outgoing mail server settings for your Optusnet email

Hostname: smtp.optusnet.com.au

Username: Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

Password: Your Optus net email password

Server port (no SSL): 143

Server port (with SSL): 993

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes Optus, this gets a different error response:
"The email server cerificate is invalid"

Are you sure that I should be using smtp.optusnet.com.au ?
Previously I have used mail.optusnet.com.au

0 Kudos
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

And the thread that you link to is full of responses saying that those settings do not work. But thanks for sending me down another path.
0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

Apologies for this @datachiefs.

Our help and support guide on "Using an email application with OptusNet email" which was recently updated, does list that mail.optusnet.com.au would be the correct hostname to use. 

Just to clarify, did you end up trying this out? if so, feel free to let us know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have tried and it doesn't work

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

No worries @datachiefs, thank you for letting us know. 

As that is the case, have you had the chance to reach out to our Facebook or Twitter team? if not, they can look to assist in escalating this situation further for you.

In saying this, as you already have an open case with us #100631513, they can also help out in following this up as well. 

0 Kudos
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Which is Optus speak for, we don't know how to fix it. Talk to someone else.

Incidentally, I have also tried using the Gmail app, and it gives a very similar security certificate error. 
Unfortunately you can no longer blame Microsoft.

So, Yes Optus, it looks like you're broken.  

0 Kudos
Kartika

Appreciate where you are coming from @datachiefs however we can`t access customers account details here as this is a public forum. As such your best to contact us via Social media as advised before.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Sallynuts
New Contributor
New Contributor

I feel your pain! I am having the same issue and tried every which way before calling them today, I'm now talking to the 3rd person, who did not know what 'server settings' were!.. OMG.. how can this be so difficult.. ??
0 Kudos
Top Contributors