Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TonyAus
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cannot setup email account in Outlook

Few days ago I have started experiencing problems with sending and receiving emails for Optus account in Outlook. Server connection was timing out. After trying everything I could find I have decided to remove and add back my email accounts. To my disapointment I cannot do it. I have tried all pop/smtp and imap settings I could find on Optus and other sites, none is working. As a test I have tried to add my account to Outlook on iPhone and it was very simple process, I have just used my email and password, no issues at all. So, what is wrong with setting Optus mail account in Outlook on the desktop or laptop computer, why it does not work. Is it due to some current problems with the mail servers or settings have changed ? I have tried phone and chat support and it was complete disaster. I have been advised to use webmail or contact Microsoft for help. It is Optus account not Microsoft, what Microsoft has to do with it ?

So, can it be done ? How ?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Aman_YC

Re: Cannot setup email account in Outlook

Hi @TonyAus - apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

Can you please clear cache from your PC and then restart it. After doing this remove your Optus net email from Outlook and then clear cache again and restart.

After this set up email in Outlook. 

Can you please make sure you are following these instructions at this link. 

Apart from this I'd also recommend trying to set  up Optus email using a different computer just to be sure its not something to do with your PC settings or antivirus settings.

Please refer to our Email Help & Support page here for further assistance. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then Optus on Facebook or on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

mavrik007
New Contributor
New Contributor

There are no directions available for Outlook365.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi @marvrik007, if you're using Outlook365, I recommend checking out our Using an email application with OptusNet email guide and following the steps for Microsoft Outlook 2010. I believe those settings should work for your Outlook365 subscription. 

If you require further assistance, please send our Technical teams a message directly via the My Optus App. They'll be able to help you out from there.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
mavrik007
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @Jack_YC Thanks for your great suggestion - because I hadn't already tried many many times to follow the directions NOT designed for Outlook365 and DO NOT work for Outlook365. 

There are many many threads here on Yes Crowd, and elsewhere, where the issue of concern is experienced by many many Optus-Microsoft365 customers.  It is clear that this has been an ongoing issue that Optus seem to be ignoring, offering no workable solution. 

FYI - I did contact the Technical team directly.  I was on the chat for HOURS with no success.  They gave up and told me the problem was probably Microsoft.  So then I spent time on the line with Microsoft - who went well above and beyond - but the problem is not Microsoft's, as it is a server issue!

It's time to step up Optus!  Give us a workable solution. 

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

We appreciate you reaching out to our Technical Team, @mavrik007. There are a few customers who have managed to set up their Optus email on Outlook 365 on this and this thread. Could I confirm if your outgoing mail server settings have been set to the following? 

Outgoing mail server

- Host: smtp.optusnet.com.au

- Username: Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

- Password: Your Optus net email password.

- Server Port: 25 (no SSL) Server port: 465 (with SSL)

datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am having EXACTLY this problem, and to be honest, Optus tech support are clueless and extremely unmotivated to assist.

Setting up Outlook on a new android phone. Using exactly the same settings as on my old iphone (and every other configuration setting in the many complaints I see on this forum), I keep getting an error that the SERVER HAS TIMED OUT. 

Nothing works.

Your tech support team leave a lot to be desired. They don't want to help. They took two hours to just tell me to contact microsoft. 
What are Microsoft going to do about your server timing out? They're going to tell me to contact Optus. Optus will then tell me to contact Microsoft. And around we go in circles.

But then UNBELIEVABLY, Optus tech support tell me that they don't support email problems, because email is a free add-on to my internet account. The will only support me if my internet connection isn't working. WTF Optus?!
I pay for my email as PART of my internet service. It's far from free.

Where's the support that the "support" team offer? Non-existant!

See complaint 100631513. The complaints agent was supposed to call me back yesterday, but he's gone AWOL as well.

Poor form Optus. 
When are you going to fix this problem that it seems hundreds are complaining about?

Kyri_YC

Hey there @datachiefs. It's not great to hear about the continued troubles you have had with us over your Webmail service. It's definitely not an ideal situation to be in. 

We are more than happy to follow up with your current complaint number #100631513. So if you get the chance to get in touch with our teams on either Facebook or Twitter, they will be happy to assist with this matter further from there. 

0 Kudos
datachiefs
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I will do as you ask and contact, but I want you to realise that you've now asked me to contact you via the fourth medium to get support on this issue.

1. Support Chat.
2. Phone call.
3. Yes Crowd Forum.
4. Facebook or Twitter. 

Do you understand why your customers feel frustrated with you?

Kyri_YC

I can definitely understand where you are coming from @datachiefs.

I have tagged this post as critical feedback, so it can be reviewed by our relevant teams for future use.

Apologies again for the continued runaround this situation has caused. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out again. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors