Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Apple TV picture judder with Optus Sport

What is Optus doing with the WC stream it gives to Apple TV users? Live games, mini matches and highlights all have picture judder, likely from lower/skipped frame rates. However, replays of entire matches have no picture judder, they are smooth. 

The SBS WC app cast to Apple TV runs smoothly for live matches. No judder. Yet they use the feed given to the by Optus Sport. 

So why is the Optus Sport app feed juddery when SBS app feed is smooth for live matches? 

As a side note, the Optus Sport feed for EPL has always had judder for live matches, on demand, replays, everything really. Will they fix this for the upcoming season on Apple TV? Or are we all supposed to go and buy a Fetch box to get smooth footage? 

11 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Apple TV picture judder with Optus Sport

Hey @sinners007, I haven't noticed any issues on my end with mini matches/highlights via Apple TV. My advice would be to raise a case with the TV & Content team, they may know of some settings you can modify for improvement. This can be done via your mobile app or by using the online web form.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. I have opened a case for assistance through the OPTUS sport app. 

I can assure you everyone I know, that uses either the Apple TV app or Xbox app, has the same experience. There is a thread on Whirlpool about this  In fact not one person with Apple TV or Xbox One has had a difference experience with picture judder, so I am a little concerned given you are unable to tell the difference between the Apple TV live feed vs the On Demand or general Fetch feed. It's chalk and cheese.

Let's see what technical support say and I'll report back here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No response from Optus Sport so perhaps I'll pose another questions.

Do Apple TV and Xbox One Optus Sport customers get the same quality feed as Fetch TV Optus Sport customers for live games? More specifically, are the frame rates the same on all platforms? Perhaps you can ak your tech people for a response to that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @sinners007, yes Apple TV / Xbox One and Yes TV by Fetch customers have the same web stream quality which is in 720p.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kartika. Everyone gets 720p, I asked about the frame rates. I am wondering why fetch customers get a smooth 50fps but atv/xb1 customers get a juddery 25fps on live TV.

Yet everyone gets 50fps for on-demand replays. It makes no sense so I'm trying to understand if I need to buy a Fetch box to get 50fps during live matches, or whether Optus plans to give everyone a proper smooth live feed before the start of the EPL season.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@sinners007 some platforms will have different frame rates due to their encoders, but Fetch and ATV definitely get 50fps. Have you tried changing your resolution settings for improvement? There's only 2 options for refresh rate but depending on your TV you may get a better result by switching this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Toomey. As I have explained 3 times now, we get 50fps with on-demand matches only, but juddery frame dropping 25fps offerings during live, mini matches and highlights. This is the case with every ATV & XB1 user. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey, just wanted to chime in and said that I've had the same issue too. All live streams seem to drop frames every few seconds, causing a really irritating juddger. I didn't have the same experience with mini matches, apart from the low frame rate (which is judder-inducing all its own). I submitted a support ticket some time ago (well before WC) saying that it was going to be referred to the technical team - but nothing has happened as of yet.

Really dissapointing as I expressly got an Apple TV for 50fps streaming, only for it to be for on-demand matches only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus won’t acknowledge this issue which is sad.. seriously watching it’s employees have no idea what the issue is makes me shake my head. 

You are selling live sport. 25fps low bitrate live streams doesn’t cut it. 

It’s all the more frusrating as on demand games get fed significantly higher bitrates which allow for a higher FPS.  My guess is that Optus cannot handle hosting increased bitrate streams for live streams. Hence the garbage we get today. 

0 Kudos