Searching...

Re: Worst marketing strategy evera

Shae

Hey Garry, in terms of media players, we only currently support Apple TV and Fetch. We are looking to bring other media players and smart TV's online at a later stage, but they are what we're supporting for now. In terms of the mobiles, you may need to be running Optus firmware on the phone to use the Optus Sport app effectively. Are you using Optus firmware on either of those phones? - Shae 

Shae

I'd need to confirm to be certain and I'm more than happy to speak with the team to get a definitive answer, but the only people who've raised issues with handsets are people who's phones are not from us. That being said, it runs fine on other providers phone here in AUS (Telstra for example) so the chances are that it may not be specific Optus firmware but different issues for each phone.

I know Windows phone users are having issues accessing the app and the web portal, so it's possible that Optus may need to make the app compatible with each model of handset separately, which may explain why you're having issues on the Elephone P9000. The note 3 should be fine but the phone being rooted may be the issue as well. just to confirm, it's working well on other handsets and tablets, but not running as it should on those two handsets?

GMR2

Yes,  and also the android M8 box. 

The note 3 and p9000 both say to refresh the stream,  and then I get a black player screen doing nothing. 

The android box shows a black screen with audio only. 

The galaxy tab and s6 edge work perfectly,  as does my laptop. 

Perhaps serves me right for buying a budget phone from China,  but that being said,  it has cutting edge technology,  and runs android 6,  so the app should work. As I say,  I've never experienced any issues with it before,  and I've been really impressed with its speed and functionality up to now. 

The note 3 is a rooted device running a rom that makes it think it's a note 5 so maybe it's the rom. I might run another one and see if that helps. 

Thanks for your efforts Shae. Much appreciated. 

Garry 

Shae

Cheers for clarifying. I'll have a chat with the team and see what they think but I have a feeling what I've mentioned may be the reasons. I'll get back to you here when I hear back Smiley Happy

EPL_Lover

I love these Optus employees and fanboys who feel the need to respond with detailed advertising of the Optus offer. The fact remains that access through Foxtel did not require a subscriber to sign up to a mobile phone or internet broadband plan with a telco. My note is directed at the adverse marketing effect of this Optus offer, so please respond on- topic. The Optus hijacking of the EPL will become a sound marketing offer when it is a stand-alone product available to everyone irrespective of their mobile phone and broadband providers with a discount for their customers. Until then it will develop substantially more negative than positive brand value amongst prosepctive customers.

Oethesaint

You mean like how Foxtel let you pay only for the EPL and watch it on your tv? Oh wait...they bundled it with a whole heap of other stuff people may not actually want. So the issue you have with Optus is precisely what Foxtel has been doing for years - they just bundle different things.

The minimum cost of the Optus EPL bundle is $35/month...the Foxtel EPL bundle cost $61/month last season. 

GMR2

Epl lover,  are you locked into a contract with Telstra and Foxtel?  If so,  I can understand how disappointing that would be,  as your name suggests you are now unable to watch the Epl you love on your usual platform. 

If you were already signed up to a hypothetical broadband provider who secured the EPL rights,  and offered exactly the same deal that Optus are offering right now,  are you saying that you wouldn't sign up because your principles would be more important than watching the EPL you love? 

If so,  that's fine. Baffling to me, but fine as it's your choice. 

From my perspective it's a case of comparing apples with apples. There is absolutely no difference to me between foxtel "forcing me" to sign up to their pay TV service when they "hijacked"  the EPL from SBS,  and Optus "forcing me" to sign up to their broadband now that they have the rights. They are both large companies taking my money. They're origins or core business make no difference to me. 

Actually that's not quite true. The difference is i now have access to a better EPL service at a far cheaper price, which is all I care about. 

Not moving to a better service that is also cheaper just because they happen to be a telco makes no sense to me. 

I do however admire people who are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face because they have principles.

I also sympathise with those who are angry because they are unable to get out of their current broadband and pay TV contracts. 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
DanSaulKnight

In response to (Occasional Contributor) Saturday, 11:05am

OK, so let's assume that you are not one of the Optus employees who go online and promote the EPL offerings on various forums. Let's assume you are a regular EPL fan who just wants to watch the football. Let me explain why you fail to understand the whinging. You have a blind spot, a conveniently omitted vital piece of information in your comparison statement. Let's have a look at that shall we.

To be clear, for Foxtel you pay a monthly subscription for a set top box ($25) coupled with a package that allowed you to view the games you wanted ($26). Optus now have the rights,  and in order to view the EPL,  you can now pay a monthly subscription for a set top box coupled with a package that allows you to view the games you want ($60).

Where did I get the $60 from...? Well to get an equivalent entertainment product to Foxtel you need the Entertainment Plus package, which is $140. So take off the $80 Broadband component and there is your $60. The dedicated channels, on demand games and 24/7 content is great value for an additional $9, but unfortunately it's the $80 for a broadband service that is generating all the "whinging".

I've had Foxtel for years. At no point was I forced to switch to Telstra broadband or a mobile service. So your comparison is irrelevent because you are being selctive - comparing apples for apples is all well and good, but failing to address the fact you have to buy an orange first is a glaring error in your analysis.

Anyway, nice attempt at misdirection, and be sure to present your post to your manager at your next monthly performance review - you should definitely get a "promoting Optus" certificate for your desk.

Oethesaint

Apples for apples? 

Foxtel bundled EPL with a whole lot of other content. For some people that worked for them and is great value. For others, it is just making people pay for a whole heap of other stuff they don't want - but they had to buy that stuff as well in order to watch EPL on tv (recognising fox sports did have a stand alone tablet/phone season pass product). This is the issue you have with Optus - yet Foxtel did the same thing?

For or people that just want to watch the EPL on tv, it's cheaper with Optus than it was last season.

if you have an issue with how the premier league is made available in Aus, you should raise it the EPL.

DanSaulKnight

Again conveniently avoiding the issue. Foxtel bundled their EPL with other content. Their Sport pack includes NRL, AFL, lots of cricket from around the world, Super Rugby, Netball, even Darts and Snooker - you know the sort of content someone who enjoys watching sport would want. Optus offer the EPL bundled with a broadband or mobile contract - you know the sort of thing that someone with an existing broadband or mobile service doesn't want or need. 

Its like going to buy a caravan and being told you can only have the caravan you want if you buy a car from the same place. But I already have a car, not our problem they tell you. Can I trade my car in for your car - no you can't. Oh, well the car you want me to get is bigger than I need, do you have a smaller car - no.

Do you see my point now...?

Oh and just to clarify, are you claiming that the EPL stipulated in their contract with Optus that viewers had to be Optus broadband and/or mobile customers...? If you need to check that you should ask your manager to pop an email to Legal - I think they're on level 3...

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
4 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos