cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Watching Optus Sport when you’re overseas

Hey guys, just a quick FYI:

We wanted to provide some information on watching the EPL & other Optus Sport content with your subscription while you’re travelling overseas.

Unfortunately, we only have the rights to deliver Optus Sport content here in Australia, so while you can tune into games nationally, it’s not possible to do so while you’re in another country. This includes on-demand content such as replays and game highlights.

That’s the way the licensing system works.

If you did want to catch up on any action you may have missed while you are away, you can record all your team’s matches with Team Tags  (You will need to have a Fetch Mighty set top box).

To set up a Team Tag, follow the steps below:

• Select Optus Sport from the TV drop down menu on the home screen
  • Scroll all the way right and select teams
  • Select the teams you wish to tag
  • Set team tag

We also suggest the following:

Because matches can start late or go into overtime. You should consider increasing the ‘recording end’ time on your team tag.

Your Fetch box should be left on standby mode when you are not using it. This enables it to action the match recording(s) you’ve scheduled. You will be unable to receive new updates or action recordings if your set top box is switched off.

If you have any questions, you're welcome to post them below 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Labels (2)
9 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Watching Optus Sport when you’re overseas

What about if you are an Australian citizen travelling overseas as I am?  With a VPN I can access 9 Now to watch the Aussie Open tennis.  I did that last night via a VPN. I can access Optus Sport but cannot load the videos? What is the go there?  I have googled and people tell me that using a VPN will allow me to watch Optus Sport. Surely there must be some allowance by Optus for Australian citizens who are accessing Optus Sport overseas as opposed to a foreigner?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem. I have a valid Optus Sport account and am currently overseas on holiday. I should be able to watch what I have paid for. And I pay for a VPN to do just that. This time last year, same place, same country but now it does not work. Why are account holders penalised like this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Soccerooter

Simply because we don't own the rights to broadcast said tournaments overseas.

We own the rights to stream only within Australia.  

As we're only licensed to stream content in Australia, overseas viewers are automatically blocked from accessing content that we broadcast. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

As we're only licensed to stream content in Australia, overseas viewers are automatically blocked from accessing content that we broadcast. 

Re your above response, I can understand overseas views being automatically blocked.  What I asked before (and received no response) is what about Australian citizens who subscribe to Optus Sport and travel overseas.  They want to use their monthly subscription overseas to watch the EPL.  That is believe me the only reason I signed up to Floptus in the first place.  I was overseas in January this year wanted to watch Aussie Open tennis on 9 Now and was able to do that with a VPN after being unable to the conventional way because I was outside Australia.

Yes with Optus Sport, I could not do that even with a VPN.  So if go overseas are you saying we have to suspend or cancel our subscription otherwise we are basically paying for nothing while we are overseas.  Beyond ridiculous.  The Floptus title is well deserved.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am not an overseas viewer. I am an Australian viewer with a paid account who is temporarily overseas. I should be entitled to get what I have paid for. This is just petty nastiness. By blocking the use of a VPN you are denying a valid customer the enjoyment of watching the EPL while on holiday. What do Optus gain by that?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi guys, we do acknowledge your point(s). We're told that blocking VPNs is a security measure. 

I understand you probably didn't realise it wasn't available to watch from overseas until you got there. It is the first thing mentioned under Important Info and is also in the Optus Sport T&C's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I do buy not that blocking a VPN is a security measure.  That is so not true.  Surely you guys can verify it is me logging into my own Optus Sport account. Only I know the password. I did that with my 9 Now account when overseas with a VPN.  I can understand why you do not want overseas based people using a VPN to access Optus Sport given the licensing requirements. I get that. But I am an Australian citizen and I have paid for the right to access Optus Sport.

So basically you go overseas for a extended period and what you are saying is you have to suspend your OS subscription until you come back otherwise Optus is getting paid for nothing. That is totally ridiculous. Who the heck is going to know whether I accessed it over there. You allowed it before so you clearly did not see it is an issue before. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi everyone...I'm in the same boat and agree with what others have just posted on accessing Optus Sport.  I live part year in Austria.  I tried a VPN connection to my legitimate Optus Sport account, and like everyone else got blocked.  Ok, I thought, I'll just sign up to Sky X Austria (SKY.at).  I did this and compared to Optus Sport the Sky X offering is just rubbish: costs 2x what Optus charge per month, no full match on demand replays, only 3minute on-demand catch-ups (what use is 3 minutes!!), also a rubbish user interface to boot.

Optus Sport is doing a great job..can you please just fix the overseas VPN thing for legitimate Australian Optus Sport subscribers?

JeffT808

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

PS. Sky X also has no way I can find to contact them...Optus Sport has good user access and someone from customer service actually replies..Go Optus!!
Top Contributors