cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tethering for EPL stream

Hi,

This morning I watch one of the on demand epl match from the website through my personal hotspot. I was under the impression that this would be data-free under ANY optus mobile networks (as suggested in many older threads I've read on here). However I soon after I received 2 SMS notifications saying that I've been charged for an additional data usage. I've had a chat with the support team and the reason he gave me were:

1. It was because I was tethering to a "different" device (which I think is a complete bull, what's the point of tethering then)

2. I was on SIM only plan and my Optus sport was provided via Fetch Mini. (which is understandable, but I don't think this is stated anywhere? The only information I've received is that tethering is fine as long as I'm on an optus network. I bought the plan with the sole purpose of the EPL anyway so I'm not sure why it is connected to Fetch Mini but not my SIM)

In any case, I was not convinced by these reasons. Hence the reason I am here :). Could anyone give me a confirmation that I was correctly or incorrectly charged?

Thanks,

Gavin

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Tethering for EPL stream

Hi @Gavin_Kiwi, so sorry for the inconvenience caused.  I can confirm tethering is free and un metered when using your Optus mobile network  (eligible mobile plan or bolt ons for Sport) to any device.  Please feel free to PM us Here and I can investigate this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation, I have PM'd you a couple days ago and have yet to receive any response. I would like to know what information do I need to provide and what actions do I need to take for you to further investigate this.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Gavin_Kiwi, apologies for the delay! We've just replied back to your PM. We'll continue chatting with you there 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @Dan_C, I also had this problem a couple of days ago (1st of April) where I tethered my optus mobile service to my laptop and streamed an on-demand reply of an EPL match. Upon finishing I received a text message from Optus saying I had used 95% of my data allowance (it used approx 9gb) I was then on the phone to several representatives in order to try and remedy the problem. Apparently my account wasn’t registering that I had optus sport active on my mobile device.

That was resolved but upon calling customer service today I was told that tethering was not data free when streaming Optus sport... I am very confused and a little angry if I’m paying this money for Optus sport but cannot tether it to my laptop. 

Any help would be appreciated!! Cheers 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@hawlonzo, I've copied the following text from our FAQ page:

OPTUS SPORT: IS USAGE DATA-FREE WHILST TETHERING OR USING PERSONAL HOTSPOT?

Yes, you can stream Optus Sport content data-free on selected Optus plans.

Ads, authentication and analytics use data and may incur additional charges.

If the device has been registered for Optus Sport, there really shouldn't be an issue.

It might be worth logging onto https://sport.optus.com.au/. Login to your Optus Sport profile and navigate to the devices page. Make sure that your device is listed as a registered device.

Shout out if you still need a hand 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey @Dan_C, thanks for the prompt reply! I have logged on to my Optus Sport and seen that my previous iPhone 6 is registered but not my new iPhone 8. And the only other registered device is listed as "Browser". How do i register a new device?

Also i have since been charged $10 for exceeding my data usage for the month which is slightly annoying as so much of it was used on sunday tether-streaming EPL replay.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, device info should be stored the first time you use the Optus Sport App on your phone. 

Can I get you to send us a private message with your account details?

I need your full name, DOB and mobile number. I'll also need the email address you use to login to Optus Sport.

If you could also attach a screenshot of the device page, that'd be great.

I'll send an email to our TV & Content team and get their take. 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan