Searching...
Highlighted

Streaming on Live games to ChromeCast is a disaster!

GilP

I have a FTTP connection, 100MB.

Whenever I cast a game live to Chromecast (from the iOS app) on a Saturday evening I get terrible picture. Goes hi, medium, low, high, me low etc etc.

And before you start blaming my provider, modem, Router, WifFi, Chromecast riddle me this..

If I watch on my Laptop, which goes through the same infrastructure, I get a perfect picture all the time? And even if I cast the chrome tab to my Chromecast I get a better and more stable picture than casting to the app directly (albeit a bit jerky as it is double casting)?

Why can't you guys get Chromcast streams working consistantly? You've has 2 seasons now and it's still a crap experience!

G./

Re: Streaming on Live games to ChromeCast is a disaster!

Toomey

Hey @GilP, you should be able to change some of your Chromecast settings via the Google Home app to improve the stream, I'm sorry it's been a negative experience so far. If you'd like a hand with this, please fill out this online form and someone from the TV & Content team will follow up directly.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

GilP

I have lodged a Fault report.

Which setting are you talking about in the Google Home App?

I can't see any settings that I can change on my device except forcing 50Hz HDMI Mode.. which does not make any difference.

Which setting are you speaking of?

G./

Toomey

From previous threads, users have said changing the refresh rate can improve your cast significantly. If you're still having issues after trying that then we'll need to see what TV & Content advise. Please post back once you've heard from them so we can see what they recommend. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Davelew

Hi @GilP

This is not going to help but just to tell you my experience with Chromecast.

Last night I began to watch to Liverpool match on SBS on FTA.  At halftime I changed to casting the match to chromecast using my phone, mainly because I prefer the analysis from the pundits.   The picture was as good on chromecast as on FTA.

My experience has always been the same but you read of my people on this forum have similar issues to yourself.   I do use the 4K chromecast dongle but I doubt that would make a diifference.    Otherwise it must be an internet problem but the speeds you achieve are higher than mine.  

I think this problem has been around since Optus obtained the EPL rights and I do believe it is time for them to tackle this problem.

On the downside to last night it was a poor game and I would have been better going to bed.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

GilP

Hey @Davelew,

I do have 2 first gen ChromeCasts, so that could be the problem.. but they both work fine with other streaming apps. Also, I have no probs watching other live streaming matches later in the evening (NEWvWBA) with the occasional (2 times in whole game) degraded exprience.

It seems to allways be that Saturday night game, when it is the first and only game on and I guess more people are watching the same live stream. 

It does seem to me that the Optus EPL infra does not cope well when there is a single game on in the early evening, when a lot of people are watching.. and then again it's only the Chromecast streams that are the problem.. as my Lappie with Chrome works just fine. Most of the complaints I see here are from Chromecast users.

So who knows. All I know is it is not a great exeperience.. but also the only experience available, so not sure Optus will do anything about it.

Monopoly agreements FTW!

G./

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
8 Kudos
5 Kudos
3 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos