cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus Sport now available on Android TV

Optus Sport now available on Android TV.JPG

You’ve asked, and we’ve listened…Introducing the Optus Sport App for Android TV.

From the 7th of January, you’ll be able to catch all of our exclusive live Football content on supported devices installed with the Android operating system.  

As a minimum requirement, your compatible TV must have Android  7.0 (Nougat).

Existing Optus Sport subscribers will be able to download the Optus Sport App from the Google Play Store straight from their supported device. 

Optus Sport Android TV setup.JPG

Which devices are currently supported? 

All Google certified Android TV's and streaming devices installed with Android 7.0+

Note: Depending on the model of your Sony TV - The Optus Sport App may be available pre-installed in the My Apps section from your Home Screen. 

A complete list of supported devices will be listed here.  

For setup & troubleshooting tips, head to our Optus Sport device troubleshooting page.

Remember, only Google approved devices will have access to the Google Play store. If you cannot access the Google Play Store from your device, you will not be able to download the Optus Sport Android TV App.

35 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus Sport now available on Android TV

FAQs:

How do I know if my TV is an Android TV?

• Check to see if the TV has Google Play Store in their ‘Apps’ menu or
  • Go to Setting > About Device or
  • If the remote has the Google Play button, use that.

What is the minimum Android version I need to get the Optus Sport app on my TV?

• Android 7.0 (Nougat or Android N)

I have an Android TV, but why can’t I find and install the Optus Sport app?

• Only Google Certified devices are compatible with the app. These devices will have Google Play Store in their ‘Apps’ menu
  • The TV must be running Android 7.0 or higher operating system
  • If these criteria isn’t met, Optus Sport will not appear when searched or as an option to be installed

How do I log in to Optus Sport on the Android TV app?

• If you have an active Optus Sport account you can use the same username and password as you would on any other Optus Sport platforms, eg. iOS, Android, Web, Apple TV

I’m unable to log in via the Optus Sport Android TV app

• See if the login works on other Optus Sport platforms, e.g. Mobile app, website, etc.
  • Password reset

I’m seeing padlocks against matches and I’m unable to watch any videos

• This is due to having a Basic Optus Sport account, customers need a Premium Optus Sport account to unlock all matches
  • There are selected Free Seat matches for Champions and Europa league every match week which are available to viewers using a Basic account

Credentials entered are incorrect (see I’m unable to log in via the Optus Sport Android TV app above for more details about this)

What video quality will matches be streamed on Android TV?

• 720i  - the same quality and experience with those using Xbox and Fire TV. This will change based on the profile your internet bandwidth can support

Can I watch Optus Sport on my Android TV as well as other devices at the same time?

• Concurrent streaming rules apply, hence if using your Optus Sport login across different platforms at the same time, stream kicking will occur
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excellent news - thanks for listening to your users, and just in time for the Aussie launch of the new Nvidia Shield 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have any plans to develop an app for Samsung TVs?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

As long as you have a Google certified Android TV, you'll be able to download the app directly from the Google Play store 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Dan_C - Samsung TVs use "Tizen" software so would need a separate compatible app to be developed
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, right.

Android is one the most widely used TV OS's. It's the easiest way to give our customers access to the app on a wide range of Google's certified devices.

In saying that, we're happy to feed this one back to the production team. Samsung's Tizen OS is definitely something to consider due to it's popularity.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dan_c of course it makes sense to do Android TVs first. Thanks for passing on the request - note Kayo Sports recently released a native Samsung app.
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

So, I had a word with our OS product team and there are some more changes on the horizon.

I have to stay tight-lipped for now, but stay tuned for updates 🙂 

@Oethesaint 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Love your work dan_c
Top Contributors