Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Clarkie
Contributor
Contributor

Optus Sport EPL Coverage

The Optus Sport EPL coverage has gradually improved since its disastrous start.  The mini-matches in particular are a welcome addition.

There are a couple of annoying things that are still a problem.

1.  Incomplete On-Demand Coverage.  It makes no sense to cover only 7 or 8 of the 10 matches per round.  I have a work around for my team (record in My Stuff), but if one of the others turns out to be a 7 goal thriller, then there's only the 3 minute highlights.   Why not at least have the mini-match for the neutral fan?

2.  Highlights.  The 3 minute highlights are pixellated for at least 30 seconds before the stream catches up (on a good 20+mbps NBN).  Why not add a delay until enough of the stream has buffered?  I'd rather wait 30s (like movie streaming) than try to watch Minecraft like players and guess where the ball is.   As it is, its a better experience to watch on my phone,  use a pirate site on my laptop and stream via apple TV for the highlights, or wait to record the highlights program.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Optus Sport EPL Coverage

1.  Incomplete On-Demand Coverage.  It makes no sense to cover only 7 or 8 of the 10 matches per round.  I have a work around for my team (record in My Stuff), but if one of the others turns out to be a 7 goal thriller, then there's only the 3 minute highlights.   Why not at least have the mini-match for the neutral fan?

This is all set to change come the commencement of 2019/2020 EPL season. When the new agreement kicks in, all matches will be made available on-demand. That's 380/380 matches available on-demand.

Customers are loving the mini matches and we'll continue to push them out to fans.

2.  Highlights.  The 3 minute highlights are pixellated for at least 30 seconds before the stream catches up (on a good 20+mbps NBN).  Why not add a delay until enough of the stream has buffered?  I'd rather wait 30s (like movie streaming) than try to watch Minecraft like players and guess where the ball is.   As it is, its a better experience to watch on my phone,  use a pirate site on my laptop and stream via apple TV for the highlights, or wait to record the highlights program.

Not a bad suggestion. If you were to pause the video and let it buffer, does that have the same affect?

The application or embedded media player (depending on how you're watching) decides on the video quality based on the bandwidth available. 

If you've watched one highlight reel, for example - you've watched a 3-minute highlight reel from the Arsenal vs Liverpool match, then you decide to watch Wolverhampton vs Tottenham highlights.

When you select the second highlight reel, does it start up ultra-low quality again? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Kiwi_Mark_LFC
Contributor
Contributor

In what way

The quality is rubbish

Streaming Sport is beyond stupid

It might look good for all the twats that think watching sport of a phone is great

But those of us who are used to Full HD in a Cinema Room - its flaming shithouse

On top of that the morons at Optus like to give the result away with stupid headlines while youre looking for the bloody replay

The EPL is practically unwatchable

0 Kudos
Smilee
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why is it that in the last month most of the Arsenal EPL games have not been been made available as mini-matches?
0 Kudos
Marie
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey @Smilee,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Mini-matches are available only when a game is On Demand.

If the game isn't available we will replay it at a later time.

You can check out our Yes Crowd blog here for more details on the schedule.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy