cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor GiveItBackToFox
New Contributor

Re: Optus Sport 1080p

Oh but they will mate. An absolute joke of an organisation, they continue to hoard HD football from Fox in their crusade to take our beloved game back to the 1990s. Why oh why our government allow this disgrace I'll never know. Well, I guess when the bloke in charge thinks that copper wires are sufficient for the future of telecommunications, companies like Optus have nothing to worry about #optusout #GiveItBackToFox

Occasional Contributor slattery
Occasional Contributor

It is a joke. I have a 100/40 FTTP connection via Fetch TV which is an excellent connection so I should have the option of watching EPL in 4K UHD.

Occasional Contributor AdamTreff
Occasional Contributor

I just noticed that Optus advertise Optus Sport as “up to 720p”. 

Enjoy 2005 level service for a while yet, guys. 

Occasional Contributor ozbrit
Occasional Contributor

FTA have bandwidth restrictions placed upon them, even so all the networks eke out one 1080i channel giving a resolution imo somewhat superior to that from Optus streams.

Presumably Optus are only restrained by the cost of data when providing the bandwidth required for FHD or UHD bit rate broadcasts.

While I can't say what the actual bit rate being received on my Fetch box is, I can see that for the LFC v Norwich game recorded this AM the broadcast used 1.9Mbps of data. If the codec was x264 that relates to good quality SD or low quality HD at any time of the day.

Considering how Netflix offer FHD and some UHD with their service and they're not an ISP so pay others for their upload data, you might think that data for a major ISP, data provision would literally be as cheap as chips.

I'm wondering whether the real issue lies with the resolution of service Optus is contracting to buy from the content suppliers.

New Contributor WKD
New Contributor

Is 720p is the most a multi BILLION dollar corporation can do atm? U got to be joking? Get with the times...  1080p has to be the minimum... 4k is becoming standard on most streaming apps.. even 8k TVs are available!

And there is a massive difference between 720p and 1080p... particularly with football which requires fast framerates to see the ball clearly travelling at 100km/h plus!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@WKD  Resolution is not related to to frame rates (fps).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Buster1964
Occasional Contributor

Just echoing the opinions on here. After deciding to part with my hard earned to give Optus a go. 

Plain and simple....... it’s crap. 

Trying to figure out who these people are on here who keep defending Optus when everyone knows it’s crap.

Give the public what they are paying for

Occasional Contributor slattery
Occasional Contributor

I suspect in the contract they have with EPL they have probably only paid for 720P content

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I do know Optus have no control over content (i.e. they do no editing of the stream). So what they get is what they show.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Buster1964
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that Peter. But who cares? I was watching the EPL in HD on Foxtel 3 years ago before these clowns got it. Hello, it’s now 2019 and this is the best they can do ? It’s patheitic. The bottom line is optus saw the $$$ and went for the rights knowing full well they didn’t have the infrastructure to broadcast it properly. So here we all are, 3 years down the track still struggling to watch a game of football thanks to floptus. They just keep taking the money and don’t give a toss about the fans. Pure greed.

Top Contributors