cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Woods_
New Contributor

Optus Sport 1080p

When is Optus Sport going to be in 1080p? Streaming the EPL in 720p is absolutely woeful and I had hoped that Foxtel was going to win back the rights. Now that Optus has secured them for another 3 seasons, are we ever going to get decent EPL quality?

19 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Sport 1080p

IMO there's not that much difference viewing 720p to 1080p unless your screen is bigger than 65".

I suspect you'll find upping the resolution won't improve many of the underlying visual issues digital and streaming introduce (e.g.  close up action looks great but wide angle panning shots are sometimes so bad you can't see the ball)

But that said it would defintiely be nice to have 1080p if that was the result of an actual bandwidth boost and not just reducing PQ further for the sake of a larger pixel count.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor Woods_
New Contributor

Thanks for your opinion Peter. I am watching via projector on 120 inch screen, so I definitely see the difference. 

If I'm being honest, I don't really care what they do to fix it or how they do it. All I know is that I can stream Netflix, Stan and YouTube in crystal clear 1080p on 120 inches and there are no problems, but with Optus Sport, I feel like I'm pushing an old VHS into the VCR. 

I switched my mobile phone services to Optus because they won the rights from Foxtel. I don't really care about that or who broadcasts it, I just want to watch it in high quality.  Optus have had multiple seasons to sort out their teething issues and provide us with a quality product that we're all paying for. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

120" would definitely push even 1080p.

I hope the new deal will see an improved feed too. They've invested a lot of money in the rights so ensuring the PQ is ok should be paramount. It depends how much bandwidth Optus want to allocate as you can always have good 1080p and bad 1080p. Being both the network provider and the content supplier I wonder if Optus doesn't have a conflict of interest in trying to trade off differnt hats?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor GiveItBackToFox
New Contributor

|IMO there's not that much difference viewing 720p to 1080p unless your screen is bigger than 65".

You're either having a laugh or you should have gone to Specsavers. There absolutely is a massive difference.

Occasional Contributor AdamTreff
Occasional Contributor

They need to offer streams at a significantly higher bitrate before increasing resolution.  What they offer now isn’t sufficient for live sport. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That's not a problem limited to is though. Plenty of providers don't/can't put enough bitrate including FTA. 

As info, apparently Optus just missed out on trialing a new broadcasting tech for these games. Instead of all devices getting a unique feed you essentially join one of hundreds of set feeds that way the load on servers is greatly reduced 

Be interesting to see it in action when it arrives.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

How did you hear about this new delivery technique? I’m very pleased to see the issue being acknowledged!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its still nascent and requires new tech in the mobile phone itself. Currently only Samsung S9 phones can support it. Optus considered it for the Soccer but in reality probably only a few hundred people would have been able to access it via this new method. Telstra are launching it for the footy I believe but again its not really going to have much impact for a while yet. That said, the benefits are considerable so I would expect Optus to use it some time soon as well given their business strategy (primarily streaming content).

Peter Gillespie   

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Requires new tech? Optus should not be looking to shovel the blame. This is something they can fix themselves without any new tech. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors