Searching...
Highlighted
ScottTyo

It's time for the Australian Soccer Community to demand that somebody provide us access to the top level of Women's football. Bring us the NWSL, where the best women in the world, including so many of the Matildas, ply their trade.

Optus should be a leader in women's sport.  After the hugely successful WWC (where all the advertising was for men's football - booooo!!!), It's time to put Sam and Ellie on Optus so that my daughter can watch her heroes.

ScottTyo

Why isn't OptusSport showing us NWSL so that we can watch our Matildas stars take on the best players in the world.

The WWC was such a success (with all the advertising for men's Soccer).  Put Sam and Ellie on so my daughter can watch her heroes.

Re: NWSL

petergdownload

They may have already. ESPN appears to have bought the broadcast rights to the NWSL last month. Fetch TV has ESPN. Optus provides FetchTV.

Might be wrong but check it out

Peter Gillespie

Solution

Paddylee

As per: https://www.w-league.com.au/news/how-watch-your-westfield-matildas-nwsl

All games are LIVE and FREE on the NWSL’s official website at NWSLsoccer.com, where you can also watch on-demand. 

Optus cant get the rights if the NWSL give it away for free already.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

bradams

I've been watching NWSL for years. Free on the NWSL site or the app. You can watch live or replays, although it's hard to get to the replays without seeing the score. Perhaps bookmarking to relevant match centre link and accessing via your bookmarks would work if you knew in advance that you wanted to watch the replays.

bradams

You're right about NWSL, but the real question is 'where is women's football on Optus Sport now that the WWC is over?' Was the marketing campaign to "change the future they see" something that Optus really believes in or just a trendy slogan to drum up rating for the tournament when there was no men's football on? The future one month after the WWC looks no different to the past.

I'm watching a play-by-play text of the Women's International Champions Cup right now. Why isn't it on Optus Sport? Why not show us the English FA Women's Championship or the Spanish Primera Division, two very competitive women's football leagues with some of the best players in the world or the French Division 1 Feminine which is less competitive but has possibly the best team in the world (OL has all three on the FIFA womens' player of the year shortlist)?

Paddylee

In order to stream different leagues etc first they need to go to market to auction off to the content distributors. 

Not sure who owns the rights to those leagues for Australian distrubution, but as Optus want to keep increasing its sporting rights if they are put to market the rights may be purchased if the price is right. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

bradams

Thanks Paddylee,

I know. You're right. The FA Women's competition is owned by the FA and Optus doesn't have FA rights in Australia. There is talk about the Premier League taking over so there might be movement on that front. The Spanish Primera Division and French Division 1 Feminine are owned by the same people as own the equivalent men's leagues. There have been some interesting developments with the FA and NWSL (overnight for this one) which I'll post in response to the OP.

I think the lanscape of women's professional football will change over the next few years. Things are definitely moving in Europe with Real Madrid buying CD Tacon and acquiring Asllani and Thaisa for the lineup. I can only hope that Optus believes in it enough to pay for it and provide it.

Thanks.

bradams

Hi ScottyTyo,

Some interesing developments in women's football coverage if you're interested.

First, the good news. The FA WSL (English D1 women's league) will be available free on the FA Player website. You'll be able to watch many of the world's top players such as Vivianne Miedema and Danielle Van De Donk who played in the World Cup final for the Netherlands. No Australian players are involved in the league at the moment, although there are always rumours that Sam Kerr is going there. Here's the link:

http://www.thefa.com/womens-girls-football/leagues-and-competitions/the-fa-player

Second, and this may not be such good news. ESPN has acquired worldwide streaming rights to the NWSL where they previously had only American rights. I have my doubts whether they'll fit the games into an already crowded schedule on ESPN and ESPN2, which means they might have it on the ESPN Plus subscription service. That service doesn't seem to be available for us in Australia so I'm worried that the NWSL may be lost to us. Here is a link to the announcement, but there isn't a lot of detail about the practicalities of access or when it will start:

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/article/espn-signs-exclusive-multimedia-agreement-for-worldwide-right...

I wonder whether Optus has any leverage with ESPN on this one?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
6 Kudos
4 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos