cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor fido
Occasional Contributor

Data free streaming Optus Sport on my mobile plan

I am on a mobile plan which includes using the Optus Sport service data free. I watched an EPL match on Saturday night for the first time but data was used when the match was being streamed live. Now, I am aware that some stuff like ads are not data free, so I'm talking about actual streaming of the match.

I accessed the match via the Optus Sport app on my mobile phone and cast it to my smart tv using Google Chromecast.

Please explain if I'm doing something wrong.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: DATA FREE STREAMING

Hi @fido 

You've mentioned that you casted the match. Are using your mobile as a hotspot to connect to your Chromecast? 

Did you use the Data Breakdown Tool within the My Optus app to find out if the service was using data, or did you receive a usage alert whilst watching the match? 

FYI: Although data services don't use your plan’s included data, the usage will show up in your Data Breakdown. This is because Data Breakdown is a representation of all the data you have consumed within a period of time, including data free streaming.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

HI @dan_C

Yes, using my mobile as a hotspot to connect to Chromecast.

No, did not use THE DBT. The data being used is shown on the mobile during streaming.

Thanks for replying.

P.S.

I've now looked at the DBT. I'm assuming that the usage shown as Optus.com refers to Optus Sport?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

It will not be data free using Chromecast as Chromecast connects direct to the optus Sports server and your phone is really only acting as a remote control.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

G'day  @Davelew. Long time no see! 

@fido, Dave is correct with this one. Streaming via the App on your mobile device is unmetered (ads, authentication and app analytics are excluded and will incur data charges).

Casting the app will generate data charges. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

That's great @Dan_C 

First time I've been right 😀

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@Dan_C 

@Davelew 

Thanks for your responses, guys.

My takeaway from all this is that  there is no way to watch an EPL match on TV data free. Mobile phone or laptop ok. Thanks Optus for the misleading information.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

@fido 

With Android phone you can cast the phone screen to Chromecast and as I understand as Chromecast is not connecting to the Optus server that would be data free.

With an apple phone I think you should be able to do the same with AirPlay mirroring. You can buy a cheap dongle for around the $20.

Dave

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I used a USBc to HDMI cable off amazon to mirror my Note 8 screen to my TV and that worked well for me.

Physical cable works well if your phone supports it.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

@Davelew 

Now you've totally confused me.

What you're describing here is exactly what I did (my mobile is an android).

But, your response seems to be different to what you said earlier.

??

0 Kudos
Top Contributors