Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor intoxman
New Contributor

CAsting optus sports from my mobile

Hi guys,

There is no nbn in my suburb at the moment, only adsl. I was thinking of watching the EPL on my mobile phone, using the 4G network (not the house adsl also from optus) and then figure out how to cast it onto a big screen. 

Can anyone tell me what my options are? 

Thank you heaps guys. Can't wait for the EPL season to start!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: CAsting optus sports from my mobile

Hi

I swear by Chromecast,a Chromecast dongle will cost you about $50.  Great for all streaming, Stan Netflix etc.

At home I use my phone on the home ADSL which works well for me and saves the cost of using mobile data.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Brock_E
RetiredModerator

Thanks for getting in touch, @intoxman 🙂 You can certainly use Chromecast as a way of streaming content from your mobile device. If you haven't spoken with someone since posting, we have a handy step-by-step video guide here.

0 Kudos
New Contributor intoxman
New Contributor

Thanks to both Brock and Dave,

Please bear in mind that my phone will use the optus 4g network.

I doubt if I can stream optus sports using my optus adsl home wifi. (If I can, problem easily resolved with Chromecast!!)

Lets assume it won't stream at the adsl speed. My only option is then using the mobile network. However, the video(from the link you sent) suggest a holy trinity of phone, modem and chromecast all connected to the same wifi. In my situation, that will not be the case. The phone will connect to the optus 4G network. How about chromecast and TV?

It may not make sense if they are connected to the home wifi but the phone is hooked to something else. 

Maybe I misunderstood.

Can you please help us out?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

That definitely make sense, @intoxman. I have confirmed with our TV and Contents team in this scenario you will not be able to Chromecast it to your TV, sorry. However there is other option that you can choose to watch it on your TV instead check out this → link for more info. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Just to add confusion it is possible to use the hotspot on your phone. You will need another device, either a phone or iPad. You connect you 3rd device to the phone hotspot, from that 3rd device you load the Google home app and then follow the instruction for connecting Chromecast to the phone's hotspot.

I regularly use Chromecast when away from home using this method. 

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Meant to add.

Your other option if your phone is Android is Miricast. This casts you phone screen to your tv. Try a cheap dongle and see if it works for you as depending on your phone quality of picture can differ.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/AnyCast-Miracast-Wireless-1080P-M2-Plus-WIFI-HDMI-display-Dongle-DLNA-TV-A...

Dave

0 Kudos
Top Contributors