Searching...

Apple TV or Fetch Mini for Optus Sport?

Hillzy

Anyone know if there is a difference in stream quality between Apple TV and the Fetch Mini? I've always had the Apple TV for Optus Sport but always felt the stream quality was not great. I was wondering maybe if it's worth paying the extra $5 a month for the mini to get a better quality stream?

Re: Apple TV or Fetch Mini for Optus Sport?

Oethesaint

The general view is that fetch is the best platform for optus sport, in particular the most reliable/stable.

You can also now buy a fetch from a retailer and access optus sport.

sinners007

There is no doubt Optus Sport have let down all non-Fetch customers previously. The feed on Apple TV & Xbox One has been atrocious. Fetch is the way to go but, might I suggest waiting till the weekend to see the first round of the EPL. By some miracle, Optus may have put some effort into fixing the Apple TV feed & could save you some cash. 

Kartika

Hey @Hillzy, thanks for reaching out to us. The streaming quality of Optus Sport is the same on Apple TV and Yes TV by Fetch service. Yes, you can buy the Fetch box from retailers as well. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

sinners007

I am a little tired and disappointed of Optus reps misinforming their customers in these threads. During the previous EPL season and the World Cup, Apple TV (ATV) customers received 25fps whilst Fetch customers received 50fps during live matches. 

So whilst the "quality" (720p) might be the same, the experience certainly is not. One feed is juddery and unpalatable to watch whilst the other is smooth.

How about Optus reps actually watch both streams and then come back here and comment, rather than reading off the incorrect scripts they have been given and disregarding the user experiences of their customers who actually HAVE compared the different feeds. 

I'll repeat, the live stream & highlights on ATV were 25fps but, the on-demand matches were 50fps. So Optus can offer proper quality, they just choose not to unless you are a Fetch customer. Now that they have opened up Optus Sport to non-Optus Fetch boxes, perhaps they might stop gimping the ATV user experience. One can only hope. 

Hillzy

Thank you sinners! That was exactly the answer I was looking for. 

Highlighted

sinners007

New season. Same poor Apple TV experience. I started watching the match at 6am (1hr after kick off). I chose to "watch from beginning" but the Optus Sport app decided the 10min mark was a good place to start. It was already 1-0.

As for the feed? It was the same juddery 25fps as last season but this season, I had the added bonus of missed/skipped frames every 5-7secs. It made the entire experience unpalatable. Time to buy those retail Fetch boxes.

Can't wait to have an Optus rep come and tell us again that the ATV experience is the same as Fetch. IT ISN'T.

Marie

Thanks for reaching out to us about this @sinners007,

I'm sorry to hear that this has been the experience you've had.

We recommend reporting this via the Optus Sports App's help and support function for our TV & Content team to investigate further and follow up with you directly about this issue.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
sinners007

Ah Marie, another unhelpful generic response. For the record I did contact help through the app and got no response. I'd suggest that the Optus mods pop over to Whirlpool and read the Optus EPL thread. You are all likely to learn a lot.

Most importantly, the issue is an Optus issue and not a customer issue. For the last time, Optus offers 50fps ONLY to Fetch customers for live EPL & ONLY 25fps for Apple TV and Xbox One customers. There lies the reason why ATV/XB1 get a poor live feed.

Get management to update the Optus scripts they give you, sighting @sinners007 as the source Smiley Wink 

Marie

Hey @sinners007,

Sorry you feel I was being generic, I can assure you that wasn't the case Smiley Sad

I've passed this on for you.

With reporting an issue if you ever don't hear back shoot us a PM with your details and we'll follow it up.

We work closely with this team so can find out what's going on.

I've sent this through to them to be checked out, If I get an update I'll pop back and let you know Smiley Happy

Cheers.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
4 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos