cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Android TV

When will you be releasing an Android TV version of the app?  There is one for FireTV which is esentially a cutdown Amazon specific version of android tv that you can't sideload on regular Android TV because of the Amazon app store restrictions.

Nividia Shield is out in Australia now as well as the foxtel puck, vodafone tv and Sony tvs so there is a lot of devices that you are missing out on.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Android TV

They haven't even launched to Playstation yet, I wouldn't hold your breath on Android TV (though I'm with you, they should!). 

I would have thought it would be prioritised based on user numbers of the device but I can't see how FireTV beats Android TV or Playstation for use within Aus so it's hard to tell what they'll target next

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Probably Tizen or something along those lines.

Android TV would be easy though.  Take the Fire TV version and strip out the amazon checks and upload to Google Play.  Job done.

Yeah. Playstation is long overdue.  Seem to recall talk about it when Optus first got the rights 2 years ago but as with most things it's all talk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yeah console and Smart TV were their buzz words for whenever anyone asked about more devices. They got to Xbox what, 3 years later? 

When it comes to Android TV though, does the number of different devices factor into how difficult it is to develop or more importantly, support? I'm not overly familiar with it but do use Android mobile handsets and know that just because an app doesn't work properly on the Samsung S9 doesn't mean it won't work properly when running on a Pixel XL for instance (assuming running the same version of android). It might come down to the fact they while they could do as you said and strip down the FireTV app and release it, supporting it becomes much more complicated. FireTV is one device that can plug into many but the fundamental support of it is the same regardless of if you're plugging into a Samsung, Sony or some knockoff TV, I don't think Android TV would be. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

There are some added complications for different manufacturers but not as bad a regular android as Android TV is locked down somewhat by Google so there isn't a lot that can change interface wise.  Major issues would be with what type of processor is used.

They could limit on Google Play what devices can download the app to those that they have tested on so the more obscure nonname devices can't install.

I was able to sideload the app onto shield when it was running Android 7 and it worked great.  Since the upgrade to Oreo it won't get past the Amazon checks though.

Maybe Optus should survey all the subscribers to see what devices they want supported next and focus on that.  Then move to the next one.  I don't hold out much hope though as they can't get it to work 100% on the current devices they support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You definitely have more knowledge on the subject then I do so appreciate the insight, what you're saying makes sense. 

At the end of the day we don't know what Optus do/don't know either. It could be that Android TV isn't a huge market for them based on the current audience but agreed, a survey would be good.

Good luck, hope it comes out soon!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks.

I hope Playstation is on the cards too.

Android TV is a small market in Australia so it probably is lower then Playstation or Samsung TVs etc.  Is a good opportunity to get onto Foxtel's streaming box as it is Android TV.  Would have thought the opportunity to get one over Foxtel would be a major incentive for Optus.

We can only hope that with Optus extending their Premier League deal and expanding into CL etc that they put more effort into quality and quantity.

0 Kudos