We all know it - consumers are way ahead of retailers and manufacturers when it comes to using digital technologies in bricks-and-mortar stores. With mobile devices, customers can quickly access online product details, read reviews, text friends for opinions and compare prices.
As a result, in-store customers are often less engaged than they used to be, and more likely to walk out the door.
What's the solution? Digital signage is one solution to re-engage customers by creating a richer retail experience.
What is digital signage?
Digital signage is a technology solution that distributes and displays digital content to customers. It can display everything from simple messages to cinema-quality video, and allow customer interaction via touch screens. Digital signage devices range from large advertising screens and point-of-sale displays to information kiosks and intelligent vending machines.
Because of this flexibility, digital signage can be used for a wide range of applications. It can:
- deliver dynamic, relevant content to the right audience in the right place and at the right time
- cover multiple retail touch points to strategically influence purchasing decisions
- act as a virtual showroom to help you use floorspace more effectively
- provide real-time product information to staff
- serve as a wayfinding device with maps and directions, and display important announcements
- create a rich personalised experience, allowing consumers to digitally customise and visualise products, from T-shirts to cars, with different designs and colours.
The business benefits
The benefits of digital signage are compelling. It can potentially:
- improve customer satisfaction by replacing outdated printed material with up-to-date digital content that has interactive capabilities
- reduce costs by distributing information electronically, with minimal manual labour required
- attract more customers to your store with a wide range of dynamic content - from advertising 'specials' to personalised information
- engage customers, increasing the time they spend in-store and sales opportunities.
The uses and benefits of digital signage are only limited by your ingenuity. It's like a blank canvas that allows you to create an engaging in-store digital experience for your customers.
For more details on what digital signage can do for your business, go to www.optus.com.au/business/security-and-applications/applications/m2m/digital-signage