Searching...

Transcript Censorship

[ Edited ]
dig

I was sent a transcript with all dollar amounts blanked out with X's.  I followed this up via chat and was told that these figures are encrypted... Some 'encrypted' information is blanked by a x and some with a X...

Dollar amounts have not been encrypted in previous transcripts.  My name, date of birth and account number are not encrypted within the transcript.  My personal details are in clear text and your prices are sensitive data?

I was called by the chat rep and asked why only the dollar figures are 'encrypted', yet my personal information isn't - he didn't have an answer.  After our call, I terminated the chat and received a transcript - now some of my personal information is 'encrypted'. 

This behaviour is highly suspicious and I am making a complaint.

Re: Transcript Censorship

Yeldarb

What format was transcript in? Some programs can do that automatically with data fields.

[ Edited ]
dig

Nice thought, but that doesn't explain why my side of the conversation was blanked out.  This has not happened in previous transcripts.  It was the standard chat transcript email.

Examples:

Me: Visitor (08:51:29 AEST) : The plan was reduced to $XXX

Me: Visitor (08:58:22 AEST) : It was $30

Only the figures which hint at the monthly total were removed and other figures weren't blanked.  Other figures stayed, including those from the rep. 

Examples:

Rep (09:15:37 AEST) : Hmm, Okay, But I see that you will be charged $7.00 for device after credit from Optus.

Me: Visitor (09:11:47 AEST) : XXX-XX/XXXX is 95...

There's also no consistency with what numbers were blanked and the method of blanking i.e. XXX, XXXX, xxx, XX/XXXX and XXX-XX. 

Example:

Rep (09:04:19 AEST) : I am so sorry for all the previous experience you had  with us. Please confirm, if you were promised to pay $XXX.00 or $XX/XXXX

I asked for an email detailing my monthly plan charges and the charges were sent to me were readable and in plaintext.  What would be the point of receiving a transcript from billing if the figures are removed?  And why is pricing too sensitive to send via email to a confirmed address, but my contact details are fair game?

Yeldarb

Okay I'm with you. I was thinking of something else. So you are disputing the dollar amount from a previous chat session and the chat transcript that is automatically emailed to you is missing all those figures?

[ Edited ]
dig

Exactly.

The transcripts have been emailed immediately in the past, however this one in particular arrived a long time after the chat had ended.  I'm not sure how automatic this system really is. I'd imagine any automation should have consistent behaviour, send transcripts immediately and actually send them 99.9% of the time.  

I'd been told that the dollar amount had been changed by reps over 5 times and I'd requested a transcript of each, some arrived and some didn't. Each time I contacted them, there were no notes about the change apparently. I've made a habit of taking screenshots.

Yeldarb

Ok got it. So what are you trying to achieve as in was it a quote on a phone or plan you want them to honour and they are giving you the run around?

Marie

Thanks for reaching out to us about this @dig,

I've spoken directly with our Live Chat management team about this and they have confirmed this is a known issue that we are working to resolve.

Where the system should be masking things such as CCV for credit cards (this isn't taken over Live chat but in some cases customers may not realise but send it anyway).

As a result the system has started to block out plan rates, they are working to have plans with a dollar sign attached exempt. 

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you do have concerns about what you were offered you're welcome to PM us including your full name, date of birth, mobile number and order number so we can check this out further for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
dig

Hi Marie,

I know you're probably just relaying information, but your explanation is beyond insulting.  Are you telling me that 3 arbitrary numbers that could be a CCV (even though CCV’s aren’t used in chat) result in only some numbers being blanked?  Why are two digit numbers blanked if there’s a 3 digit number rule?  Why aren’t all numbers blanked if there's a number rule? Why aren’t all numbers starting with a dollar sign blanked if there's a dollar sign rule? How does one believe this?

I’ve never seen a system work this way and this is the most ludicrous explanation I’ve heard in all my years.  I know how these systems work.

This is not correct and if you believe it to be, the Live Chat team are also pulling one over your eyes.  I have had a ridiculous amount of trouble sorting this out and each rep has failed to provide an explanation.  Every time I have contacted them, they have assured me it has been sorted out and my monthly charges will be changed.  I then call back to find out that there are no notes.  No notes on my monthly charges and the monthly charges have not changed.  I’m not even sure they’ve been changed now. 

Do you think it’s a coincidence that there are no notes and once I persist and demand a transcript, only SOME of the figures are blanked?

There is no consistency.  Computers are consistent.  Your call centre is not transparent, they have consistently been deceitful and have attempted to cover their tracks.  I have put in a complaint and if I do not hear from optus shortly, I will be contacting the TIO.

Marie

I'm sorry you've taken this from my explanation @dig, I do get that it's frustrating however I have been provided this from our Live Chat Management team directly, I have of course removed details not related to your direct issue.

The issue is that it's blanking out 2-3 digit numbers which it shouldn't be, we are waiting for updates on this issue and they are fully aware of the impact on customers. As a result agents should be recording all plan charges down.

I apologise for any confusion they are wanting to write in a rule so that it doesn't blank numbers that start with a dollar sign as this is usually a payment amount, a credit or a plan charge.

I am aware that other numbers are blanked again this is impacting all numbers from two digits up but could also impact single digits.

You are most welcome to contact us here via the PM link I provided earlier and we'd be happy to investigate this further for you. 

You are also well within your rights to contact the TIO to discuss this further. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
dig

Thanks for your help.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
9 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos