Searching...

Someone Upgraded my Plan from SIM only to a Mobile Plan (Identity theft)

Anoo

Hi,

Someone call Optus and pretend to be me. On phone call he upgrade my plan from SIM only to a Mobile plan and ordered a new mobile. The delivery address was Woolongong which is different from my residencey address. 

I went to Optus Care centre they told me to go to police station for complain and then report Optus an Identity theft and it ll take around 21 days for Optus to investigate.

You are issueing a phone on just a phone call ??? how starge is that, you don't even know about the person who is calling, you are not verifying the number from which he is calling ???

Optus only verify the resident address, Name and DOB, but anyone can get this info. very easily. Everywhere you have to provide your ID proof, so can be found easily.

I am still waiting for Optus to contact me, as it's unfair to pay on someone's behalf.

Re: Someone Upgraded my Plan from SIM only to a Mobile Plan (Identity theft)

petergdownload

Its pretty scary how easy it is to have your ID stolen. And all the major Telcos do not make it all that difficult unfortunately. The flip side is they also don't seem to have much of a process or concern when a customer gets hit. It surprises me as ultimately its a pretty costly to the Telco too. It wouldn't take much. Just a confitmation SMS or email to the name and number currently on record when the order is placed would cut it down to almost never happening.

So definitely get the police Report. I take it Optus have blocked the IMEI and phone from making calls?  

Optus should wear the costs ultimately (the crime was essentially committed against them, just using your name) but it is going to be a process. Do check your national credit rating after this (as they may have ordered more stuff elsewhere if they had your details). Also secure your email (2 Factor Authentication and password change)

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Re: Someone Upgraded my Plan from SIM only to a Mobile Plan (Identity theft)

Anoo

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
9 Kudos
8 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos