cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor SoAnnoyed
New Contributor

Overcharged for texts! Optus say I sent over 200 Intl texts where I believe it was less than 20!

My latest bill includes a charge of $96.50 for 228 international text messages whereas I believe I sent less than 20 texts!

I have used the chat function several times with the same result...... massive wait to chat to someone, have to tell me story yet again, and am told they cant help me!

When I asked Optus what phone nhumbers I apparently text they have only given me one, which is incorrect as I have text several international phone numbers last month, so clearly their info is wrong. Its a complete waste of time!

How can I find a list of the number they say I sent these 228 text mesages to???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Overcharged for texts! Optus say I sent over 200 Intl texts where I believe it was less than 20!

This will show on your bill that you've sent 228.

You need to remember, an SMS message is only 160 characters. So if you wrote a bigger message which was only "20 messages", would have been truncated into a number of messages to fit the limit. Hence why you've been billed 228 SMS instead of the alleged 20 SMS.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Overcharged for texts! Optus say I sent over 200 Intl texts where I believe it was less than 20!

Did those text messages contain emojis? It only takes 1 or 2 emojis to take you over the 160 character limit threshold to be charged for multiple texts. It's unclear if you have received the bill yet?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor SoAnnoyed
New Contributor

Thanks Ray,

Yes I have recieved my bill, and no I did not use emojis.

I believe the answer was as "Jeneral Pain" suggested, that I wrote long messages which added up to alot more than I anticipated.

Although I now understand the charges, I still am not happy with the service I recieved from the chat team, as I wasted alot of time with them. They gave me incorrect info and were not able to answer a question that a NON Optus employee was able to answer.

I am yet to find where I can view a list of the phone numbers I text each month.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

More info on this can be found here: How to View or Request Itemised Usage

Click on the mobile number you want to view usage for

Click on the relevant usage type e.g. "UL Intl Talk and Text(35 countries)

Click on the respective dates

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Actually, I'm going to burst your bubble, I'm an EX-Optus contact centre staff member who used to be a Senior Billing Consultant before I moved into the Mobile Support space and eventually left when roles got outsourced way back when. The YC Team would't even remember the site I started at... 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.