Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Chandu
New Contributor

Optus new connection- Credit check failed

Hello,

I have recently moved into a new place along with my wife. This place doesn't have the network for ADSL braodband and a request to lay cables has been given a lead time of 3-6 months. I decided to take a Wireless modem to get internet and found that Optus might be a good option and when I went to apply for the connection, they quickly ran a ccredit check and said my request was declined. Upon calling them they said they can't give the reasons for this and that I have to call Veda to get an explanation. I call Veda and they say they wont give me th report unless I pay $79. 

Now, I have been working full time for over an year and have accounts and credit cards with no bad payment history whatsoever and this outcome is quite surprising. Especially given the fact that I was a previous Optus Prepaid customer. 

The wireless connections are costly to start with and on top we have to get credit corrections and what not. I don't know if the big telecom companies do this to gain extra revenue or they like putting customers through this pain, They hold the market cpative and just make the customers play along with these ridiculous procedures. 

Hopefully the situation improves in the future when customer requests are given consideration at least not due respect.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus new connection- Credit check failed

Hi Chandu,

I'm really sorry about the experience you've had trying to start a wireless service with us. All new post-paid customers must complete a credit check when applying for a new service; however we are unable to supply the reasons as to why this may be declined as we are not a credit agency. There are two external credit reporting bodies we use that may be able to shed some light on the situation. One is Veda as you've mentioned, the second is a company called Dun & Bradstreet. I've attached a link to their website in case you'd like to use their services instead → http://goo.gl/APl63D - Phil

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Chandu
New Contributor

Hi Phil,

I completely understand you hvae your own internal procedures to abide. I would not want to take on a cusstomer with bad credit history on my books either.

What frustrates me is the way you do it. You take my license number and other basic details and tell me in 2 min that I'm declined. Yes, you gave me the external resources where I could get information as to why my application might have been rejected. However, when I called Veda I was told they could not give me the information either. I have to pay $89 to get this information.

So, I get this report first paying the extra bucks and do whatever they specify to correct the credit rating. After this I apply for the connection and Optus has a lead time to give the connection. All this time, I am left without internet services and paying ridiculous amount on Data charges on mobile connection.

My questions transcends the structure and process you have to setup the connection. I am asking if you have a better process. Sure, if you say that you have doubts on my credit rating, ask me to pay ahead. Get a refundable deposit in place. Give the customer an alternative mate. You have to have a better way to deal with scenarios like this.

Regards,

Chandra 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

I understand where you're coming from with this and I do apologise for the inconvenience it's caused. Currently this is standard process for everyone but we are always reviewing how we can improve our services and connecting new customers. I will be sure to pass your feedback on as you're not the first person that has run into this problem. We try to keep the personal details requested to a minimum in most cases, we’ll collect as much as we need to submit the check to assure we don't confuse you with someone else that may share a name or birth date. As far as the internet connection, it depends on what network you will be using as to how quick we can connect you. ADSL for example with have a minimum 10 business day lead time. I do get h - Phil

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Nolan
New Contributor

I had the same response from Optus and I find it completely ridiculous. I'm in an apartment where the connection is already setup, and all I need is a router, but they've declined my credit. 

My flatmate and I have both have full time jobs with government agencies, and make stable incomes. Yet somehow we're not qualified to get internet, which is just silly. I'm going to be honest, this is making me look at other options for my prepaid phone service as well. 

Nolan 

0 Kudos
Moderator Marie

Hmm that sounds unusual Nolan 😞 

It's possible in this case as your in an apartment there could be another factor in being declined for service.

Did they specifically say that you'd both been declined due to your credit?

If you'd like to PM through your address I'd be happy to take a look and see if it's serviceable.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
New Contributor chris367
New Contributor

I live in England but come to spend three months every year in Perth and while I am here I want to have a decent internet connection. Up until now I have been using PAYG Optus mobile broadband (very expensive and not much data) so this year I decided Optus Home Wireless 200GB seemed to be just the job for me, on a month by month contract. I applied but was rejected by your credit check process. I followed your advice and checked my credit rating with one of the two credit agencies you recommend, where I found I had a "very good" credit rating. I own an apartment in Perth and a house in England. I have no negative points on my credit rating, but because I have no credit cards or mortgage accounts so it appears that Optus feels I am a credit risk! The excuse I was given by Optus for refusing me an account was that I was on a Tourist Visa of three months and I would need to be on a longer visa if I was to have a chance of a contract account. Is there any way I can remedy this ridiculous situation?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Yuli
New Contributor

Hi there, 

I have the same issue. my husband and I just moved to a new development property and there is no internet connection available and the only option regarding the internet is a Home Wireless Broadband -200GB. However, we couldn't get it because both of us have been declined because we do not have enough credit history. This is just ridiculous! We have no outstanding bills or loans, both of us have full-time jobs. Moreover, I was Optus customer 2 years ago. I cannot imagine any reason why both of us were declined. To me this is something that Optus does not value their customers, I understand that you have your special procedures to new customers, but seriously, for prepaid internet service this is too much. 

Thanks, 

Juliana

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Juliana - I wouldn't want to speculate on why you have failed our credit check, the best thing to do would be contact Veda the credit reporting agency and they should be able to let you know of anything on your credit file that may be impacting your applications for credit. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor NHenry
New Contributor

Hello There

I have had a similar bad experience with optus last weekend. 

I have been an optus customer since Sept 2015 and have had post paid connections including home broadband. Recently when i was in the store for signing up a new Phone plan with an eofy offer, i was declined ( credit check?) and was surprised. Never ever have i defaulted on any of the payments. Always paid the bills on time and maintained a clean record. 

Now that optus does not have a mechanism in place to treat their long standing loyal customers with god track record with some respect, i am thinking of movig to other service providers. I am sure that this could have been avoided by them to have a check on their customers history prior to taking a third party infrmaton to make a decision. 

Bye Bye Optus, Trying to run away faster from you...

Regards,

NH

0 Kudos
Top Contributors