Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Mail not sending using Windows 10 mail

I have a HP laptop using Windows 10. I use Windows mail with two email accounts set up, Optus and another account. Both worked perfectly until sometime early in the New Year. Without warning my Optus account won't send mail using Windows 10 mail, it just sits there and says "Sending" but it never gets sent. I can receive emails with no problems, I just can't send them. I've tried deleting the account and creating it again using the Windows 10 Mail wizard, but that didn't work. I then tried deleting the account and creating a new account by manually keying in the data for the incoming and outgoing mail servers but that didn't work either. The other account I have on Windows 10 mail works perfectly, and my Optus email works perfectly when I use Optus webmail. My Optus mail also works perfectly on my iPad. Windows 10 mail on my laptop is the only place it's not working. My windows updates are all up to date. My HP updates are all up to date. I've tried running the "reset" function for Windows 10 mail and that didn't do anything for me. I'm thinking that at some point in late Dec / early Jan there has been a Windows update that Mail on my laptop didn't like. I suppose I could go back and undo Windows updates one by one and see if that makes a difference, but I only want to do that as a last resort. Anyone got any ideas ? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus Mail not sending using Windows 10 mail

Hmm influx of mail problems today. No VPN or antivirus and if you do have you tried turning them off?

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Howard_Williams
There are a few posts that have been created today with people having issues with Microsoft email programs and Optus Mail.

What I suggest is to check  the Windows Mail account settings and compare them to the settings on this page

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Setting-up-Optusnet-Email-POP3-VS-IMAP/td-p/588...

I am not an Optus employee.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using VPN and I tried turning off the anti virus. Still no joy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Windows 10 mail isn't all that brilliant as regards options for set up. The outgoing email server shows as mail.optusnet.com.au:25:0. Obviously 25 is the port, but I'm not sure the significance of the 0 at the end.  I've tried checking the "Require SSL for outgoing mail" box and changing the port to 465  but no joy there. I've tried checking / unchecking the "Outgoing server requires authorization" box but that doesn't work either.  I might end up giving this up as a bad joke and just use webmail

I've attached a screen print of what the setp up looks like if that helpsOptus Windiows mail.png

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I tried Win 10 mail once and could not get the ports to change. Simple POP setup requires no authentication or ssl. 

I was impressed with Thunderbird if you are looking for a free mail client.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ 

optus-email-pop.jpg

Edit: Just setup Thunderbird in a few minutes. I selected manual configuration on the first setup screen and entered the simple POP details myself.

optus-email-pop-thunderbird.jpg

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Howard_Williams
I do not have an Optus Mail account to do any testing. If you have time you could try Thunderbird which is a free email program from Mozilla the creators of Firefox.
I am not an Optus employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Don't worry too much, I have other email methods that I can use. It just annoys me that something that should be simple and worked up to 2 - 3 weeks ago all of a sudden stops working and it's not like I had fiddled with it and broken it. Having said that Windows 10 mail was never intended to be robust and was always going to be a cheap & nasty alternative to other far better applications.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Just reading back through the posts you haven't mention if you are actually connected to Optus when trying to send mail?

Yes Win mail was a bit like the old Outlook Express.  Both programs worked well however for backup purposes the single .pst file from the full version of Outlook made life easy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not quite sure what you mean. My address & password etc are set up and when I open up Windows 10 mail it should connect me to Optus automatically ? It would seem a bit pointless having to manually connect to Optus each time I open Windows 10 mail, that kind of defeats the purpose. If I want a refresh at any time I just click the "Sync" option. I receive mail with no problem which would indicate the application is communicating successfully between me and Optus in one direction at least. 

0 Kudos