Searching...
Highlighted

Optus Credit Check Criteria

Eason2946

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the reasoning/criteria when Optus decides to decline a customer due to failed credit check? Recently I was declined when applying for an Optus post-paid deal via the online chat session. I've done some research in this forum and I know that Optus uses third party credit check agencies such as Equifax or Veda. Since then I have obtained the free credit reports from both of them and the eports show my credit is absolutely fine. About a week later, I visited Optus store and tried to apply for the same plan again and it was qucikly accepted and the salesperson didn't even read the credit reports. Optus representative claimed that Optus only based its decision based on the third party credit information and there's nothing they can do. But during a period of few days, my credit rating went from 'unacceptable' to 'satisfactory'. The credit check seems subjective to me rather than purely based on the third party credit information and I'm confused how I was declined during the initial application. Anyone with similar experience?   

Re: Optus Credit Check Criteria

Erf

Veda now comes under Equifax. Carefully check your credit status because a black mark once recorded by Equifax will  remain for 5...yes 5 years from time of infringement even though you had repaid the debt in full. Based on a close friends recent personal experience..Hope this helps Erf.

petergdownload

You should have got a credit score? Pehaps it was at a lineball number? 

I too have heard that the credit check is not open to interpretation. Staff get a yes-no response. 

You said the Optus store guy didn't even check so maybe they weren't doing it properly?

Glad you finally got approved though. 

Peter Gillespie

Erf

Spot on Peter. The maximum (ultimate) credit score calculated is 1200. Like you I suspect that whoever approves or disapproves credit application will make a subjective judgement based on the score as appears to have happened in this case. .one disapproval one approval. This could occur with an Equifax score of 700 for example. We need to be aware of these things as they can affect us long term. As you say alls well that ends well and credit was approved. Erf

Eason2946

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad that at the end I was able to apply for the plan but like everyone else said, hopefully this won't have any impact on my future applications such as home loan. I do subscribe to free monthly credit score update from Credit Savy and although my score is not perfect, it is definitly satisfactory. 

Steve3218

It's ridicolous,

I understand Optus has these procedures set in place for a reason but you seem to be denying so many customers due to how your company runs it's credit checks. How can you not see this is abit of a joke. I think more and more customers are gona end up going with other providers just to the fact you wont approve hardly anyone. I signed up for a online order of a post paid phone. Was told the order is being processed it took almost 3 days then got a text saying please call us to discuss your order. When I called everything seemed to be going ahead then was put on hold for half and hour only to be told sorry we denied your order. It is seriously a joke. The credit checks you do are nonsense in this day and age no wonder so many people move on to other providers. After reading on this forum seeing how many customers are being denied optus services due to credit checks dont you think its time to change how you do things. And every answer a representive from Optus gives on here is exactly the same. Are you getting paid by Veda & Dunstreet and Bradshaw just to give everyones information away only to deny them any services anyway. I think il be getting rid of my prepaid service aswell as you just dont give anyone a fair go. 

petergdownload

Have you requested a free copy of your credit rating? Do you know your score and if there are any outstanding issues? Perhaps you are quite young and don't yet have much credit history?

A post paid account is not just about paying off your $50 a month. It empowers / exposes you to potentially $100s and even $1000's every month. Heck done can accidentally track that up in a day or two 

Do while it's always falling to be turned down for credit, it's understandable that Optus are cautious who they hand out too. Even if that means they lose potential customers to another company more willing to take the risk.

Peter Gillespie

vukovar78

same here had services with vodafone telstra looked join optus month to month declined was due to optus critiera was also longer ago optus postpaid customer unfortunatly i had left since i went overseas and then now couldnt get again that why many people look around i didnt know answer why is declined i checked my file all is good otherwise wouldnt have bills house and other providers approved 

petergdownload

A bit strange. No past unpaid bill will Optus? Or  Perhaps your credit details for mixed up with someone of the same name? What is your credit score?

Might pay to try reapply although don't know if Optus will let you

Peter Gillespie

vukovar78

no unpaid bills been with other providers but my file is been good i have hard copy of credit no any issues only they say credit check declined due to optus criteria they wont say reason why 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
29 Kudos
22 Kudos
19 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos