Searching...
Accepted Solution

Optus 100GB Data SIM + 100GB bonus - bonus not active

wabster

Hi all, I recently signed up for the $60/month 100GB Data SIM plan that has a 100GB Bonus data attached. I ensured to sign up before the deal expired on 30/04/2019. Having decent speed for the first time in quite a while I've been using a lot of data, and am now getting warning that my data quota of 100GB is close to used and that after I'll be charged $10/GB.

No mention of the 100GB bonus in the message or in my account. The lady that signed me up on April 17th in the local Optus Shop assured me the bonus data will appear on my account after it was "bedded down" in the Optus system. It doesn't appear anywhere and I'm starting to become concerned that when I go over my 100GB which is pretty much certain before 17th May I'm going to get billed extra rather than invoke the Bonus Data.

Has anyone else signed up for this Data SIM incl 100GB bonus/month for 12 months and is their account reflecting the availability of the bonus data? I'm dreading having to call Optus and try and sort out a mess after it happens so am trying to get organised before the data over run occurs.

Thanks for any assistance suggestions or whatever useful comment you can add, Cheerz Wabster.

Re: Optus 100GB Data SIM + 100GB bonus - bonus not active

petergdownload

rant:

I don't know how the Telco industry continue to get away with not properly providing basic contract information up front. Its not just Optus that can't seem to provide customers with a simple document that spells out what your arrange deal is. 

Plan: Optus 1546

Start Date: 10/5/2019

Monthly Price: $70

Base Monthly Data: 10Gb

Bonus Monthly Data: 40Gb

Duration: 12 months

Its not hard (and you'd think a bare legal / operational requirement for a billion dollar company) and yet it seems impossible to get any thing other than not very useful verbal confirmations about what is going "Rest assured sir that despite all these warning about us charging you and despite the fact we've sent you nothing in writing to confirm otherwise it says on my screen that you are elligible for the bonus and that won't happen".

Optus will generally reverse incorrect charges down the track on request but that's really not good enough IMO. 

1) You need to request it - Optus won't reverse any mistaken charges proactively

2) Optus won't do anything until a bill is issued. So its all after the fact.

3) Its an hour (or many) of time on the phone to get it actioned. Sometimes for several months as the issue can keep happening in some cases

4) Its terrifying - At $10/Gb if you burn through 100Gb and start using your "bonus" data you could potentially be sent a bill for $1000 Smiley Surprised - even though your 100% in the right who wants to risk that?

5) And there's always the possibility Optus will disagree with you / you have made a mistake and you get stuck with it anyway.

/rant

Anyway, unfortuantely there's not a lot you can do until you get your first bill. Optus do generally have a policy of applying bonues in the second month so that might be the case here. Various systems (Apps, Billing, MyAccount, SMS warnings, etc.) are all updated at different times unfortunately. You could try hitting the 100Gb mark which should mean a 50% SMS warning is sent to you (that would confirm you're fine for the 200Gb. 

But otherwise if you're sure you have the bonus deal (and the phone people are confirming it) then you can probably use 200Gb and know you can get any "penalty" reversed without too much issue. I would recomend that you get a confirmation via LiveChat. Then copy and paste the chat into a NotePad document for future reference. You can get the transcript sent to you via email as well but that appears to have a 50/50 success rate (check spam folders).

Peter Gillespie

wabster

Thanks Peter, my reason for trying to do stuff before the sh*t hits the fan is because I dread having to deal with Optus accounts people on the phone, I'm sure you share that dread haha.

The fact I'm getting warnings on the 100GB limit, not the 200GB limit is to me an indication that the Bonus 100GB isn't yet active. I dread trying to take retrospective action.

Another concern to me, and I expressed it when signing up, was that the Bonus Data of 100GB is NOT mentioned in the Contract. I had the ad with me, and expressly indicated that my reason for signing up prior to the end of April was the Bonus Data. The sales lady was quick to dispel my concerns saying it will appear on your account "when the new account settles into the system" which should have rung alarm bells, and still does :-)

I've also sent a copy of this original message to Optus Social Media team on Facebook, and might also do the same on Twitter, where in the past at least they were quite responsive. Thanks again for your response, Cheerz Wabster.

Ray_YC

The Social Media team will look into this for you and respond, they manage both the Facebook and Twitter platforms so no need to post on both 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

It is standard Optus process to provide only a generic CIS which specifically says it doesn't include any 'bonus' information. On the surface that's quite reasonable but was more so when data amounts were in a few Gb and the bonus was a small portion of the overall deal. Now days deals are deliberately structured otherwise (e.g. maybe have 10% as the deal with 90% bonus data). I assume this is to provide big data plans that can be reset to small ones if needed later on (as the 'bonus' expires)

I do think Optus should provide a simple (seperate) email detailing the specifics of any deal (i.e. what bonuses actually). At the moment the process seems to essentially circumvent the whole point of the CIS (which is to provide the potential customer with a short and comprehensive summary of the deal and terms involved so they can make an informed choice)

FWIW though I agree with the sales lady that this is standard opertating proceedure for Optus and you'll have the data applied as agreed (if its not already so). Its just lamentable that what should be a happy experience by a new customer is somehow made fraught and time consuming.

Peter Gillespie

wabster

Thanks Ray, I have noted my message to Optus on Facebook has been received, but nothing further than that. Not even a "we are looking at this and will get back to you message" so I don't find it terribly reassuring, given as I stated above, I want to get the issue sorted before I go over my nominal data limit and then up in an interminable dialogue with Optus Accounts as well :-)

I also have to contact Technical Support to ensure the continuation of my Optusnet email account, and don't want to have to raise this data limit issue with them as well, because frankly these things just get too hard at times. Cheerz Wabster.

Solution

Ray_YC

If you still haven't heard back from the Facebook team, please send me a PM with a screengrab of your PM to them or just your Facebook name and I'll follow up with them directly. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

wabster

Thanks Ray it is all sorted now with your assistance. My account shows the Bonus Data as available to a total of 200GB :-)

Many thanks for your assistance, cheerz Wabster.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos