Searching...

MyVideo Selected Apps

Gab_G

Hey,

I have the Unlimited Premium Pre Paid Plan so I know I am eligible for the 10G of MyVideo Streaming. I followed the directions as per the Optus website and started watching Netflix. 

When i checked my self service app I was down 2G of MyData (my regular data not streaming data). And when I check data breakdown Netflix had taken up most of it. 

Is this normal? Does the free Video Streaming Data show in the data breakdown? Or is it glitching and using up all my regular data to stream?

Re: MyVideo Selected Apps

10000000000GB

Breakdown shows more than 100%. It just maps all your usage. The main thing to look at is the big circular dial.

Gab_G

Sorry that didn't help me. I went into Optus to ask, apparently if you are watching Netflix in HD it will use your MyData. Or if you download a Netflix show/movie on the app. Pretty stupid they don't have any time print stating this but yeah, watch out for that.

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

You can't watch Netflix in HD, if the unmetered TV is switched on. Viewing is confined from the Optus copy of Netflix and limited to 1.5mbs.

You can also download just fine using the app. I've also heard people can download 720p versions unmetered. (Though I haven't paid for that Netflix plan.)

Next time, ask staff who know something. That one was just making stuff up.

Check in your My Account, in ENTERTAINMENT, whether the unmetered TV is enabled. I'm not familiar with the prepaid version of this, but it should exist. It sounds awfully like it's not enabled.

As I said, keep an eye on the main usage dial, not breakdown or daily usage. 

Toomey

I'm not familiar with the plan you are referring to. All prepaid plans are listed on this web page. Can you confirm which one you have for us to look closer at the terms and conditions?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

10000000000GB
Prepaid Ultimate Plus all have 10GB of streaming data. I assumed one of those.

[ Edited ]
Toomey

Ah ha yes, the "Unlimited Premium Pre Paid Plan" threw me off.

Check out the FAQs on this page for more information on the MyVideo streaming.

It doesn't matter what quality you stream in, but streaming in HD is going to use up your 10GB much faster than streaming in SD.

Q. How many gigs are consumed in one hour of video streaming?

A. The amount of data consumed varies depending on various factors such as the streaming service you’re using, network traffic, device and the streaming quality you select. We recommend you select Standard Definition (SD) /medium quality to maximise your MyVideo Selected Apps data. You should check with Netflix, Stan and the ABC for more information on how to adjust your stream quality settings and data usage. You can check your usage at any time via the My Optus app.

In "The Details" section at the bottom, it also advises that downloading content will not be eligible for this data.

PREPAID ULTIMATE PLUS: VIDEO STREAMING OFFER
Expires within 28 days or upon next recharge, whichever is earlier. Streaming services subject to change and may not have apps available on all mobile operating systems. Content such as ads, authentication and app analytics are excluded and will be deducted from any standard or bonus MyData allowances you have. Tethering and downloads not permitted. Requires positive MyData balance.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Guilli87

Just spoke with a Sales Rep who stated that SD streaming on your handset is the only way to use the Bonus Myvideo Prepaid data; higher def streaming, downloading, tethering, using SmartSwitch/screen mirroring and using the "play on available devices" tab in Netflix will all use your regular data, and from what he was saying, it is a lot that it uses, like 3gb/h for 1080i.

Notice that they go so far as to neglect cautioning customers of the ease with which they could burn through $50 credit in an arvo, brushing over it by using the obtuse and catachrestic "tethering" as opposed to outright stating "Everything But Handset SD Streaming" or making "play on available devices" a thing.

I mean don't get me wrong, I reckon it's awesome that I'm being rewarded for promoting a sedentary, isolated, screen driven, phone addicted lifestyle with free data to specifically watch movies and tv on my phone, but maybe if I could choose between audio, video, data, even premium credit, now that would be awesome Optus!!!😊😊😊😁😁😁😉😉😃😃😄😄😄

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
31 Kudos
27 Kudos
24 Kudos
15 Kudos
9 Kudos