Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor gjabba
New Contributor

My Account is unuseable as it hangs my browser

I have no problem logging into My Account and get to the Dashboard page without issue.  However,  the moment I try to navigate anywhere e.g. Billing,  View Details,  does not matter where actually,  my browser hangs with a scripting issue.  In Firefox 71.0,  I get the message "A web page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do?"  If I choose Stop It,  that is the end of the session as nothing responds after that and I would have to kill my browser.  If I choose Wait,  occasionally I might be able to return to the landing page so I am unable to manage my account.

Looks like this has been raised several times in Yes Crowd and the problem persists so maybe Optus I.T. needs to rethink how My Account is implemented. A few of the posts I found are marked resolved but the solution is not published.  How to make My Account useable?

9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: My Account is unuseable as it hangs my browser

Simplest solution is download a second browser (or use the alternative browser already built in (Chrome, Edge, Safari, etc.)

Hopefully Optus will sort the issue if it is with Firefox. Only 4% of customers use Firefox but it should be compatible.

There is a chance it is something in your installation. Possibly a plug in (have you tried a safe mode boot?) or something cached (have you emptied caches?) or even do a clean install and try MyAccount first (before restoring your profile)
0 Kudos
New Contributor gjabba
New Contributor

It does not seem to be browser specific as I have the same unuseability issue with Microsoft Edge 44.18362 and Internet Explorer,  even after cache clearing.  It's Optus' implementation as I have not experienced this across the multitude of online services necessary in our lives. (What is the script doing??)  I doubt it's plug-in related as I hardly use the other browsers I tried and therefore pretty much stock standard installs. Any other suggestion?

New Contributor gjabba
New Contributor

Had a chat with Optus Support. I was asked to install Chrome and that seemed to work well with My Account.  My guess is that was the browser used by the portal developers and not much effort was put into testing compatibility with other mainstream Windows browsers such as Firefox,  Edge or Internet Explorer.  With Firefox,  I found that if you keep clicking Wait when the unresponsive page error comes up,  the page eventually loads.  Firefox does show multiple Javascript warnings when Web console is turned on:

-Deprecation warning: value provided is not in a recognized RFC2822 or ISO format. moment construction falls back to js Date(), which is not reliable across all browsers and versions.

- bundleLuxMyAccountDashbrdBuild...js:  The deferwidget computation indirectly called itself. This probably indicates a bug in the computation.

- download-bills line 7062: Problem interacting with dataLayer history: TypeError: cyclic object value...

I don't know whether or not they are the reasons for the appalling performance in Firefox.  I didn't investigate the issues with the other browsers I mentioned.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks very much for the update gjabba, not ideal you had/have to use a browser that's not your first choice but please to hear there was a solution.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor mooiness1988
New Contributor

Nope - Chrome (79.0.3945.117) is not working for me either. And I'm using my work connection (350/350 Mbps).

Pages are slow to load, if they load at all. And sometimes, they load with incomplete information.

You have to refresh the pages a few times and then you might get lucky.

And I've tried Firefox and Edge as well, just to make sure that I'm not going insane.

Do your devs test these pages at all? As it is, this thing is not usable.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Fl0ptus
Occasional Contributor

I have been having the same issue for at least 6 months. using Firefox. Same issues when using Edge or IE. Why would you guys only have IE, Safari or Chrome supported? 😒 Surely your developers located in Mumbai can be a bit more up-to-date with what's new?

I have just installed Chrome. A bit faster, but I can NEVER get past "My Profile", despite me clicking dozens of times over many months on "Verify"  within the constant window " YOUR BUSINESS REQUIRES VERIFICATION: As a part of keeping our data up to date, we need you to verify your business details. Please click on the verify link to get data back from business partner".

I no longer use my ABN (it's been years)  and floptus was aware of this.

System is clearly broken. All I wanted to do is to view my bills and see when my contracts end. I can't even do that.

Any recommendations?
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Chatting with Optus Support would be the way to go. It sounds like a change needs to be made to change your account from Business to Residential.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor gjabba
New Contributor

Just based on posts I have found in YesCrowd alone, there clearly is a useability issue with the My Account portal.  The requirement of static and transactional data retrieval and display is the same across all telecommunication companies as well as banks (e.g. account statements) but I haven't experienced such issue with the other companies.  It would probably perform better and be more compatible across mainstream browsers if the implementation is stripped back to basics,  dispensing with fancy code that works great when you're on the same LAN as the server but unsuitable in real-world situations.   Are you able to raise a performance review of the My Account portal with your IT provider and have the issue permanently addressed?  As it is,  your customers are getting frustrated and distracted by an issue that is not even related to your core business.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I don't have the specific details but I know it is constantly being worked on and updated, along with all Optus webpages.

0 Kudos