Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor RDV57
Occasional Contributor

MIA Sphere Live / Cool4mob scam

Hi,

I received my latest bill to find 5 charges of $9.09 on my account for this month. I have a mobile and data sharing SIM.

I never received an SMS and have not clicked anything to accept anthing like this. I don't even know what the hell the service is, but I note that I'm not the only one to have fall victim to this scam. The 1300 number on my bill doesn't help - I can't get through.

Given that the "service" is attached to a data-only SIM for my iPad and I can't make calls or SMS, how could Optus have allowed this? Can I dispute the charge and have the subscription blocked?

Thanks,

Owen

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live / Cool4mob scam

Hi @RDV57!

It seems that you've been subscribed to a premium contents / services. Well, you need to coordinate with Optus Care to block those charges from your account. They can also file a query log on your behalf so that the 3rd party company can call you after 2 business days to discuss where the charges originated and also if there's a possible refund. It is not Optus who charge you those amounts..

You can check more details about premium contents / service on this link.

I hope this helps!

-------------------
My answers are just my opinions. It doesn't represent Optus or any of it's staffs.
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉

-------------------
Click Kudos if you find it helpful, and please mark it as an anwer if your problem has been resolved! 😉
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hi @RDV57. Services like these sometimes subscribe you through banners and advertising on your mobile/tablet. This can occur in apps or through your web browser. Unfortunately, you may have inadvertently accepted the subscription this way. Information on these services including how to effectively bar them can be found on our Website here . Look under 'How to manage your Monthly Spend' to find out how to reduce your content spend limit to zero and bar these types of charges.

If you're having trouble reducing your content spend limit, please send us a private message and we'll have this done for you. With regards to a refund, we can also flag the charges and have the content provider contact you to discuss the matter. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

According to the link you provided, whether Premium SMS or DCB, I should have received SMS confirmation and opt-out information. I didn't.  I couldn't have because I have a data-only SIM. Further, my iPad has ad-blocking apps installed so wonder how I could have actually seen a banner ad to click it. I'm an IT professional so I'm probably more cautious of scams than some.

The website of the 'Cool4Mob' service is particularly opaque as to what they actually provide - I wonder why. I can't be subscribed to premium SMS and the only DCB related info relates to a competition. When I check to see if my number (the one for the data-only SIM being billed) is subscribed / entered in the comp the website says it is not. Several attempts to speak to someone at the provided Cool4Mob number have been fruitless - can't get through and the "call-back" option is being ignored.

I have spoken to Optus customer service to explain all this and have been give no help or explanation - "it's a third party we don't know anything etc" -  as to how/why I'm being billed $10 a week for what is clearly a scam being operated by an entity with whom Optus has a contractual arrangement.

Can you provide me with something more than the stock copy-and-paste response e.g. the process for disputing the charges? I have mobile, TV and internet services with Optus and happy to go elsewhere if this is how the company is treating customers. Will also be contacting the Telco ombudsmen. It's a scam.

Moderator Aman_B

Hi @RDV57, looks like you have been subscribed to a premium service. Could you please PM me your full name, mobile number and date of birth so I can look into this? We may need to have this investigated by the content provider. We can restrict further charges for premium services on our end. Once that is done there won't be further charges. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

For the benefit of others reading this trail I've sent a PM and have been told that I will be called back by Cool4Mob within 3 business days. I assume the Optus rep has left a voice message at the 1300 number requesting a call-back (their lines are always busy due to a 'higher than expected demand'). We'll see what happens there, won't we? Not holding my breath.

However, the fact that my data-only SIM is being billed for something that requires SMS confirmation is surely the fault of Optus? Why is it that Optus considers that the customer should bear responsibility for sorting it out? How is it that Optus clearly doesn't have any authentication / validation / confirmation processes in place for attributing such charges to customer accounts? It sure does look like Optus is happy to participate in the continued scamming of its customers.

I also note that in responses to other customers who've been similarly scammed, the reply from Optus reps has been to immediately dispute the charges e.g. https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Hip-Fun-Scam/m-p/201176#M37787/jump-to/first-unread-message.

Occasional Contributor domdom
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Can somebody help me? I have account with optus 8064 2731 2001 02 , when I check my bill, this company "cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O" will called me in the morning for sometimes??? and will charged me for each phone call $9.09!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEVER pick up any phone call, NEVER receive any message from this company!! I went to optus, but they said the payment was charge by the third party, so that mean optus can't help and I am not able to get the refund from optus. Should I call police or open a case with fairtrading? I used vodafone before, they never have this issue. I think I should go back to vodafone when my 2 years plan finish.

Invoice No: 796483586

Issue date: 13 Mar 17

Due for bill: 31 March 2017  I don't know what to do, BUT I WOULD NOT MAKE THIS PAYMENT!!

Date Time Number Service Description Supplier Type S/R Helpline Amount

13 Feb 07:46am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

20 Feb 07:46am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

27 Feb 07:46am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

06 Mar 07:45am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

4 Records $36.36

Invoice No: 791419815

Issue date: 13 Feb 17. For this invoice, I already paid. Over charge me $18.18

30 Jan 07:44am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

06 Feb 07:44am Cool4mob MIA Sphere Live P/O 1300724406 9.09

2 Records $18.18

Please,

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Miles_R
RetiredModerator

I've just responded to your PM, @domdom 🙂

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor domdom
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Thank you for the help, do you know how and where I can get the refund? Also I just received my second bill  (Due day is 31/03/2017), it shows I need to pay $40.00 for the coll4mob calling service. What can I do??

I have received an email this morning, is because you?? Thank you so much for your help.

Hello Dominique Yan,

Thank you for your email.

Your subscription with Conversion Traffic B.V has been terminated.

In regards to a refund, unfortunately at this point we can only assist you with removing your subscription. Please contact our customer support service on 1300 791 015 to discuss your options.

We hope this information has assisted you in your inquiry.

Kind regards,
1300support.com

1300Support.com is an independent, industry compliant, 100% Australian based helpdesk. On behalf of a number of telecommunication enterprises, aggregators and content providers we assist in technical enquiries, customer feedback and mediation

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Morning domdom  - can  you please reply to Miles PM with the account info, like DOB? Just need to run an ID check on the account. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors