Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Lost all emails from webmail server after changing phone emails from POP to IMAP

On Jan 22nd I changed the way I manage emails on my iphone from POP to IMAP and have discovered that all emails prior to Jan 16th have been deleted from phone and from Webmail. I have some very important emails among those lost.

I have had a online chat with optus who said they would recover them for me last week, that it would take an hour or so, but nothing has been recovered. I am on the phone to optus, but so far on hold for an hour. I had to hang up last time after waiting a similar time on hold. 

Can anyone help me?

I don't know if the 'location' for this question is correct - but there doesn't seem to be any option for webmail.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lost all emails from webmail server after changing phone emails from POP to IMAP

I would not have thought your emails could be recovered however the fact that someone has said they could seems promising. Did you ask for a reference number, employee ID as I am not aware of any contacts nor have I read of any information on this topic.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Lost all emails from webmail server after changing phone emails from POP to IMAP

I didn't get their ID or chat number unfortunately. I was too relieved that they said they were recovering lost emails to stop and think about getting it.

I have a small business account - perhaps that is why there is a possibility of recovery?

Either way I heard nothing back from them.

This morning I finally got through on the phone, only to have them tell me to call Apple support - which as I suspected was a totally useless exercise.

I am trying them again, third time lucky?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

See if you can get them to look up who took your original call as I have never read of anyone having any success with email recovery after deletion. That doesn't mean it's not possible and maybe the small business account gets you that extra service as you suggested. I'm not sure if iTunes or iCloud includes mail backups but there might be some truth in speaking with Apple if you have no success with Optus.

Edit: By the way have you checked webmail to see if anything is in the recycle bin or other folders?

https://webmail.optusnet.com.au/ 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your replies Yeldarb.

Just got through to them again this afternoon.

Seems there is no real explanation of where the emails went - they are not in the webmail interface, nothing in the trash bin at all before the 16th Jan. They have no answers or solutions. You are right, contrary to what i was told on the live chat, they cannot retrieve emails as they don't seem to have a back up of their own, even for business accounts. They told me to try apple, gmail, or outlook if I access my emails through them, but I don't, and it is pathetic that they rely on third parties to hold data that should be their responsibility, especially for business accounts. So much for accountability.

I lost some seriously important messages. My last backup was in September, so that's something I guess.

I was over Optus a long time ago, but for the fact that they hold your email address hostage if you leave - an email address that I have all over my business cards and collateral, an email address that clients know where to contact me on. But now that I have no faith in that, I'm out.

Complaint to ombudsmen next.

I hope someone from Optus reads this, but I doubt it. Anyone else considering joining, or staying, take heed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm given the small cost of Hosting and Australian domains maybe it's time to move to your own private email account. I have many clients who were reluctant to make the change from ISP mail because of business cards and stationary however it's not that difficult once you get the ball rolling. Keep in mind that even if you do get things sorted out with Optus IMAP storage is extremely small and this may create further problems down the line.

Glad to hear you at least have backup even if it is a month old.

0 Kudos